Warm Air Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: My warm air central heating has been switched off by the gas board as it failed a smoke test during a recent service, the problem appears to be at the adaptor from the existing 4 inch pipe ( looks like an asbestos type material) to the ridge tile which is also cracked.
After having trouble getting anyone to quote for the repair (job must be too small to be of interest) I have decided to replace the adaptor and ridge tile myself then get the gas board back to smoke test.
My problem is that the new adaptors are all aluminium and I've been told that I need to get an asbestos to Selkirk adaptor, all I can find is a Selkirk 4 inch IL gas vent (which I've also been told is correct) and no supplier I've been to seems to have heard of the asbestos to selkirk adaptor, ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED

Sponsored Links
I don't wish to make life unpleasant, but strictly speaking you now have to have a building control approval to do flue work, or, in the case of gas, have a corgi registered operator - (with flue certificate I suspect) to do it. It's all to do with building regs since April 2002.

Thanks, thats what I thought but when my wife tried to get a plumber/heating engineer, she was told that she needed a roofer to change ridge tile / adaptor etc. so she rang corgi to make enquiries and was told that anyone could carry out the necesary work but it must be checked by a corgi registered operator before the gas is reconnected, any info on the adaptors?

jonno said:
I've been told that I need to get an asbestos to Selkirk adaptor
The problem is you need to know if the information is correct first before you go round the bend!

Try ringing the manufacter,see if they can help........

www.selkirk.co.uk

Customer Services & Manufacturing
Selkirk Manufacturing Limited
Pottington Business Park
Barnstaple
Devon EX31 1LZ
(UK)
Tel: +44 (0) 1271 32 66 33
Fax: +44 (0) 1271 33 43 03

Sponsored Links
:D Excellent, thanks for your help, it seems that what I need is an Adapter to fibre cement flue liner, I'll have to make more enquiries after the weekend now that I know what to ask for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back