warm cooker isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have fitted british general "BG" Nexus accessories around my kitchen as the old ones where all scratched, the accessories are the low profile type with the screws filed flat with a finishing metal plate to hide the screws. My only concern is the cooker 45 amp isolator switch is warm to the touch even when the cooker is not in use, All the connections are tight and it is wired up correctly, I can't hear any arcing from the switch when the cooker is running nor smell any burning, I would imagine if it was arcing it the switch would be getting hot straight away and too hot to touch The isolator has a red neon could it be the resistor for this neon making the unit slightly warm? The switch has been installed for 3 days now, , Is it just the heat from the resistor I am feeling? or could the switch be faulty?, Like I say I cannot hear any arcing internally from the switch even with the cooker running, its a fan assisted oven which draws around 12 amps, I am sure if 12 amps was arcing you would certainly hear it crackling and maybe smell burning?, Am I just worrying over nothing? Is it just the resistor or something similar for the neon? The switch does not get any warmer when cooker is running, it stays at the same temperature which is just slightly warm. Also what are your experience and opinions with the BG nexus products?
thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not a sparks, but all of the (MK made) switches in my kitchen that have neons in them behave as you describe, so it sounds like it's nothing to worry about.

Does it still do it if you turn the switch off, so the neon goes out?

HTH,

Colin

I'm not a sparks, but all of the (MK made) switches in my kitchen that have neons in them behave as you describe, so it sounds like it's nothing to worry about.

Does it still do it if you turn the switch off, so the neon goes out?

HTH,

Colin
Hi, yes turning off big red switch on the isolator cools it down and neon extinguishes, it is starting to sound like it could just be a resistor heating up when in use for the neon indicator inside the unit. I am no expert but I am sure if it was arcing the unit would be too hot to the touch and would likely smell burning plastic or something similar, but I can't hear or smell anything like that near the switch.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back