Warm fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My ageing Hotpoint rl63p fridge is currently running at about 11°C.

The compressor seems to be working at the normal rate (ie not running more than normal).

Is it safe to assume that the thermistor/thermostat is on it's last legs?

The fridge is about 15 years old. I did replace the original thermostat about 8 years ago (it had failed completely).

Yeah, I know that I could buy a cheap replacement fridge but I can get a new thermostat for about £20 (incl delivery), add on an hour's lost labour and it is about £40. Unless someone tells me that it is likely that the compressor is going to fail soon, then i would rather repair it than replace it.

Tnx

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to assume that the thermistor/thermostat is on it's last legs?
Not really.

Temporarily bypass the thermostat (remove the two wires from the thermostat and connect them together).
If the fridge gets cold and starts to ice up, the thermostat is defective. Get a new thermostat.
If not, there is some other problem such as failing compressor, refrigerant leaking out etc. Get a new fridge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back