Warm roof... Improvement/Development. PD/Planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With EWI I read that it is not classed as development but as an improvement and can therefor come under PD subject to the usual and that of material finish.
So what about warm roofs? They would increase the ridge height. But again is it not an improvement as opposed to development? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You can increase the height of a flat roof that was lower than the main house roof, subject to Permitted Development Rights. You are not permitted to increase the height of the main house roof.

Ok thanks. So from what you say the fact that it is an improvement and not development doesn't come into it.

Sponsored Links
Bummer, well you could do it anyway, but you would be in breach of planning, so the local authority could get annoying, that said how would they know the height before the work if you happened to be replacing the roof covering? Or you could just apply for planning permission and it will likely be granted as you'll only be raising it by about 120mm I'd expect. Even if you did it anyway without PP and the planners came a knocking it's doubtful it would go any further than crappy letters. It'd be a very minor breach and not in the public interest to pursue it.

Will no doubt be putting forward for planning on the project anyway. However i get a strong feeling neighbor is going to kick up a fuss as they are already taking the michael rather seriously e.g. ripping down hoarding to use as a rear fence panels. Installing pool and outside Jacuzzi shortly after hearing of plans even putting up a ladder (for their pool) up to and on fence.. and thats not to mention the rubish that get thrown over. To top it off neighbor is related to local councilor which wont help.

I feel your pain, our new neighbours at the back of us are a veritable bunch or A-holes, I only mentioned to my wife at dinner tonight I would like to let loose on them with an AK47, if only to be a martyr for disgruntled neighbours throughout the land! :evil:

could always try nailing a weak piece of timber with a hilti dx460 or similar. Accidents can and will happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back