Warped/split kitchen work top

@xc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone advise.
After only 4 months the new kitchen worktop from Howdens has split on the edge and now water is getting in and warping it as it is near the sink.
Howdens will possibly provide a new top, but the kitchen fitter will have to be paid to fit the new top.
Should I try and get compensation for this work from Howdens?
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
show us some photos.

Is it laminated chipboard?

• Thanks
Reactions: @xc
I'm trying to work out how to post a picture. Sorry for the delay.

IMG-20180131-WA0001.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it can be determined that it's actually faulty, then Howdens should also pay for the re-installation of it. If they are providing it as a gesture of goodwill, then you'd need to pay for the work. Have you left water sitting there that's split the corner - water getting in there now, suggest you might be leaving it there longer than you should.

• Thanks
Thank you for that advice. The only way I can think of water getting in to the cracks is by using a wet dishcloth. Otherwise, water couldn't sit there on the edge.. Surely it should be watertight anyway especially when it's relatively new.
I really appreciate your reply.
Thank you

As it's just by the sink, then it's reasonable to assume that the area gets wet when the sinks in use, so it could be sitting there for a time, but you're right in that it shouldn't have gone this quickly. It'll come down to how hard you stand your ground with Howdens, but they might find someone to do the job cheaper than you could, so throw the problem in their court, and face them down.

The real question, is how soon will the other worktops go, so put a clause in the agreement that you reserve the right to claim on the other worktops if they showthemselves to be faulty at a later date.

• Thanks
I would never use a worktop with a straight edge to the front as that glue line is always a weak spot. delaminating within 4 mths its not fit for purpose no matter what anyone tells you. Dont replace replace like with like go for postformed rolled over edge where there are no joins and it will last for ever. Use a good make like Duropal NOT retail shed cheap tops nor probably Howdens!

Heres a little tale from 2017 - I put in our kitchen and used worktops from BQ postformed edges. Once installed I noticed there were hairline cracks to the top of the rolled edge which you could hardly see. I contacted BQ and they told me as the tops had been cut it was my problem, I told them it was a manufacturers fault but they didnt budge. I then contacted the worktop manufacturers and explained the problem and they immediately told me that they would authorised BQ to refund me which BQ duly did. No one even came to inspect the tops. I do work with wood etc so know what words to use when making a complaint of this nature, whether that made a difference I dont know but BQ refunded my money, picked up the tops and I went and bought Duropal.

Dont be fobbed off with such ****e products and stand your ground. IMO so many suppliers trade on consumer ignorance and browbeat when faced with a complaint...

• Thanks
that dont look like work top material, couldbe the photo but it looks to be 18mm laminated chipboard.
has the worktop ben fully cut out for the sink bowl and drainer or is the drainer sitting on the laminate?
worktops should be min of 38mm or 40mm and as said should have a bullnose or rolled front edge. all cutouts,that means all, raw edges to be seled.

mgrs are taught to push back any complaints.not to give ground and give complainers the runaround. go higher every time,go above them, they hate that getting heat from above. and like the song dont back down.

• Thanks
Thank you for all your replies.
I'm not sure if the drainer is sitting on the laminate or not bobasd.
The man comes from Howdens tomorrow afternoon. So we shall see!!!
Thanks again

PS bobasd, Which is best? To have the drainer part cut out or not?

look up from the unit below to see any cutout.sometimes the drainer is let in by routing out a shallow depth not completely cutting out.
best is to have a solid top with min cutouts but its not always posible

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back