Warranty Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I purchased a second hand car from a garage about 12 months ago which included a 3 year extended warranty. Recently, the windscreen wiper mechanism failed which included the motor. The garage referred this issue to the warranty people who said that this failure isn't included within the warranty as the damage is due to wear and tear. I'm aware that warranty excludes damage due to wear and tear but I would have expected this assembly to be included.

Just wondering what the general feeling is of others on this forum?

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly press hard for a result, but usually in extended warranties the items covered are listed.
Of course the more you paid the better the cover.
An exception to the warranty would be switching the wipers on when they were frozen to the screen, etc..
John :)

I'm actually asking this question on behalf of a friend and I know that she paid c£900 for this extended 3 yr warranty which is a fair bit of money. Problem is, if it is a problem, is that once she was told by the garage that warranty wouldn't cover this repair, she reluctantly paid for the works to be done.

Its easier to draw teeth than get money back from the motor trade but the lady concerned should have a copy of the warranty and it could be worth a look .....at least the wiper motor should have been covered, I think.

Sponsored Links
I agree with John. I would have thought that at £900/3 years, it would be FULLY inclusive. It's a bit of a cheap shop to wriggle out of it.

I have been shown sent a copy of the warranty and it says within the exclusions: Components requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear on vehicles over 6 yrs old or 60,000 miles at the time of claim.
I do know that this car is just over 60k miles, is this their 'get out' clause??

It could be but, it's interesting that they sold a 3 year warranty on a car that going by your explanation, was going to be out of warranty a long time before 3 years had expired.
Out of interest, how many miles were on it at point of sale?

I'm told just over 60k miles at point of sale. Its an AA GOLD cover warranty fyi. Not sure at the moment if it was recommended to her by the garage she bought it from but will find out as soon as poss.

Just looking again at Post#6 where 'Components requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear on vehicles over 6 years or 6000 miles at the time of claim are excluded'
Unless I am missing something, what is the point of having such a warranty? Or indeed, what is actually covered?

Just looking again at Post#6 where 'Components requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear on vehicles over 6 years or 6000 miles at the time of claim are excluded'
Unless I am missing something, what is the point of having such a warranty? Or indeed, what is actually covered?
That's what I was thinking, too.
They appear to have sold a pig in a poke in regards to the warranty.

Last edited:
Hmmm
In the event of the gearbox casting falling in half, all will be well but if the thing starts jumping out of gear then that's tough :eek:
Can't understand this one!

Yes, I'm thinking you are all correct about the miss selling. I have found out a bit more, the car had done 90k miles and was 6 years old when purchased from the garage. She bought the 3yr extended warranty because of the high mileage thinking she would have 3 years cost free motoring. Apparently, this was a recommendation from the garage. In view of the fact she appears to be have been miss sold this warranty, what do you suggest the best course of action is?? Do you think she has any recourse?
thanks for the ongoing assistance....

Someone needs a kick up the ass at the garage - the AA Gold warranty covers up to 60k miles and 5 years (maybe 6) so the warranty wasn't applicable from the start.
I'd go back to the garage, explaining all of this and emphasise the fact that this warranty wasn't fit for purpose.....and what do they intend to do about it? Should I contact my legal advisers? (My term).
As an aside....who the hell would offer a comprehensive warranty on a 90k vehicle :eek: Makes no sense.

Sponsored Links
Back