Was I ripped off for Diamond core hire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Or was I just naive?

I was fitting a 5" extractor duct, and figured I should hire a diamond core to cut throught the brick, as it would be the easiest method and leave a nice neat hole.
Went to my local Brandons hire and got a 127mm bit, cost virtually nothing to hire, but £12+VAT per half mm for wear. I figured one hole through a single skin of brick wont use more than half a mil.
Turned into a complete pain, admittedly my 650W DeWalt wasn't really up to it so it took ages, but when finished the hole was only 125mm diameter! Had to get the angle grinder into the hole and open it up before the duct would go through.
All Brandons would say is "it's got 127mm stamped on it, that's the size it cuts". Then they charged me a whole mm of wear. Now I measured it when I got it, and the lugs were just under 2mm high. They wrote 1.5mm on the sheet so I thought fine. Measured the lugs again before I took it back, and it was just over 1.5mm, so I thought that's easily under half a mil. When I complained, they said they I wasn't measuring it correctly, as the diamond doesn't go all the way down the lug. But if it's reduced in size by less than half a mil, how can I possibly have used more than that?
So I've spent £30 and ages on it, and it would have been easier and neater to just have drilled a circle of holes and cleaned it up with the grinder.

But aside from my rant, my question is.... Is that what I should have expected from a diamond core, or are the hire shop a bunch of ****? I've never used them before (diamond cores or Brandons) so I want to know which one to avoid in future :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see your mistake. You've posted this on the "Tools and Materials" forum instead of the "Moan and whinge about a supplier" forum.

sounds like you need to hire a new tape measure, its measured the diameter of the cutter wrong and the teeth! :D

Absolutely right Softus :D
I wanted to post a whinge about it, and couldn't find that forum, maybe they could set one up? We all need to rant every now and again :evil:
Fair point though, I don't suppose anyone would want to read about it.

Seriously though, I measured the diamond core with a good quality vernier caliper, and it was 125mm diameter, it made a hole of about 125.5mm in the brick.
Is 1mm of wear (= £30) right for one hole through 4" of brick? These diamond core things must cost a fortune if you use them regularly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back