Washer/dryer tripping switch when drying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new place which came with an integrated Smeg washer/dryer. After first struggling to find the power switch for it (its on a socket under the sink thats attached to the cabinate carcase) it then sprang into life.

When doing a washing cycle it works fine.

When doing a drying cycle it works for 15 minutes or so and then trips the switch in the consumer unit... I'm very basic with dealing with these things so apologies for not using the right terminology but its not tripping the "Kitchen Ring" switch but is tripping the one next to it which has a switch and test button (guess this is the RCD?) - this kills both the kitchen ring and the mains rings (and triggers the burgler alarm) but leaves the lighing etc on. Switching it back on and it almost immediately trips again. Turning the Kitchen Ring off and then switching the other switch back on and everythings fine.

Is it likely a fault with the dryer, the electrics or the consumer unit?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fault in the machine . your burglar alarm probably needs a new battery also ,as a side issue.

Fault in the machine . your burglar alarm probably needs a new battery also ,as a side issue.
I assumed that the alarm was going off simply as an anti-tamper as its detecting the loss of power as a possible attempt to stop it triggering.

Is it likely to be an expensive fix? What I read on the RCD being triggered it suggests is a water leak somewhere but therefore seems surprising to me that its the dryer function that causes the issue rather than the washing.

If your alarm was armed ( set ,and you were away ) and power was cut to it ,it would go into tamper mode and sound off. However ,when its not armed ( as would be when you are in the house) ,and power is cut to it ,its internal battery should keep it energised .RCD will trip when a tiny amount of electric current leaks from a circuit , not unusual with heating elements in cookers / dryers , or cable insulation within them that has degraded. You will need a washer/ drier engineer to visit to establish exactly what is the cause ,as there could be other causes .if its a very old machine you would have to weigh up if its worth repairing or if its time for a new one.

Sponsored Links
If its a very old machine you would have to weigh up if its worth repairing or if its time for a new one.

It came with the flat so cannot say its age for certain. The kitchen itself I know was fitted in 2013/2014 as Wren happily told me the name and date of who/when it was bought from them (which was the owner before those we bought from) but dont know if it is contemporary/predates/postdates that... guess would be its circa 3-4 years old.

Smeg's official repair coordinator firm have suggested their "fixed price" which is £135 for call out, labour and up to £400 of parts. Obviously on the surface a good value offer but the local firm is £35 call out and £35 for unlimited labour if fixable and so would be half the cost if actually its just a disconnected hose or such (not that there is any evidence of escape of water outside of the machine.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back