Washing Machine Electrics

If it does result in lower energy consumption, and you can kick it off when you go to bed or go to work, then it might as well take 5 hours as 5 minutes.
That's all true, as far as it goes, but are there not considerations other than energy consumption?. One suspects that such a long cycle may result from the water being at a temperature too low to kill most bugs and maybe too low to clean 'properly'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Clothes don't need sterilising, unless maybe you're a surgeon.

Not everybody has clothes infested with bugs, fungi and moulds.

And even if they do, surely it wouldn't be all of their clothes, all of the time, would it?

I wouldn't want to see machines that couldn't wash at high temperatures when needed, but I wonder how often those are needed. Apparently the use of cold water washing is routine in Japan, and they are not a people noted for slovenliness.

As it's all done in firmware these days, I wonder how long it will be before we see people offering to "chip" washing machines to get better-performance-and-to-hell-with-consumption as is done for cars? :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Not everybody has clothes infested with bugs, fungi and moulds.
Yes they do.
And even if they do, surely it wouldn't be all of their clothes, all of the time, would it?
Maybe not but, unless they lived in a vacuum and never wore the clothes, it would undoubtedly be most of their clothes (after use) for most of the time.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Maybe not but, unless they lived in a vacuum and never wore the clothes, it would undoubtedly be moist of their clothes (after use) for most of the time.
I suppose the clothing which gets moist in use would tend to be more of a concern.

Not that quick - I'd had time to do post #22 which involved a little bit of research.

But quick enough, which is what matters :ROFLMAO:

OK. How many people/how often do they need to worry about it?
The problem is that people usually don't (and usually can't) know if/when they need to worry about it - so, if they want to play safe ....

It's a bit worse than one might think. Since these modern machine tend to try to wash things in small puddles of cold dirty water, not only don't they kill the micro-organisms but they spread them out all over all of the items in the machine - so it might be other people's clothes they need to worry about!

Kind Regards, John

How many people/how often do they need to worry about it?
Very few, and only rarely.
Indeed - but as I said, how do they know if they are one of those 'very few' and if one of those 'very rare' occasions has come?

The chances are that very few people, and very rarely, would come to any harm by eating meat products which were well past their use-by date ... but it's a (quite low risk) gamble.

Kind Regards, John

What about washing themselves at low temperatures, 40°C? Should they have the occasional 90°C wash? Or use bleach?
Common sense obviously has to prevail. However, if someone was unfortunately particularly susceptible to some of these organisms then, yes, they would probably have to regularly disinfect themselves (and their clothes) with something along the lines of 'bleach'.

Despite this discussion, it's probably not primarily a 'health issue' at all. The greatest potential problem is probably that of moulds/fungi which are essentially harmless to nearly everyone, but which have the potential to 'spoil' the garments etc. concerned. Have you never smelt a pile of washing which has been 'overlooked' and allowed to stay, wet/damp, in a WM for a day or three after a low temperature wash?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back