Washing machine inlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New member, first time poster.
Moderately enthusiastic DIYer who knows just enough to be dangerous and not quite enough to be effective....

I think I have dropped a boob. Pulling away the kickboards in my kitchen I found that I had a serious leak. This was traced to the inlet pipe where it connected to the washing machine. I swapped out the rubber washer at the back of the machine but to no avail - it continued. I swapped out the hose and this fixed the leak. However a month later my washing machine now stinks.

The inlet is syphoned off the cold water pipe that goes to the sink. The T points straight down. The old pipe that I swapped out had a bulbous, sophisticated looking connector at the end that connected to the inlet. The new pipe I bought is a cheap, standard connector.

I suspect that the old pipe with the impressive looking connection prevented water pooling and going all whiffy. I have failed to find one searching the internet.

Please could someone
a.Confirm that my diagnosis is correct
b1. (If I am correct) tell me what I should be looking for
b2. (if I am wrong) educate me

Many thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Can't see the smell coming from the inlet pipe if it isn't leaking no more.
Have you check the waste or the damage the leak has done to the wooden cabinets ?
Whats that connect to a standpipe etc ?

b2
unless the machine is only used once every 3 yrs i cant see how the water is stagnent and causing a smell, our washing machine is on 2-3 times every day, and probably only off while the door is open to get one load out and another in haha

The most likely cause is the discharge hose not rising high enough and allowing waste water from the sink to travel down into the bottom of the machine. You may have disturbed it when you fitted the new hose.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

I'm a software engineer. As soon as something goes wrong the first question is always "what changed?". I think you are right that it can't be the inlet hose.

Machine has been in place for two years prior to this with no problems. The leak was substantial however no harm done to cabinets. It is definitely the machine itself (I've had my head in it several times). It is used once every few days, up to a week between loads.

The inlet hose spurs off the pipe for the kitchen sink cold tap.

I've run white vinegar and soda crystals through it and this sorts the smell out however I am now starting to think it might be running the machine on empty, flushing the outlet, that actually clears up the smell.

I'm going to pull the machine out and check the outlet - I think that is a much more likely source of the problem

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back