Washing machine installation

Kua

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a washing machine from a reputable store. I asked the shop the install the machine but after they see the pipe they refused. They say it could leak because the waste pipe suppose to go to the main waste pipe rather than joining at the bottom of the sink pipe (with a fancy machine to mince the kitchen waste. My flat is new.
There is hot and cold pipes supply at my flat but the washing machine is cold-fill only.
What could go wrong if I attempt to do it myself apart from leakage at the waste pipe? Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Plumbing in a washing machine is easy. Connect the flexible pipe (comes with the machine - most new ones are single inlet - cold) to the cold water inlet, then connect the waste to the waste connection as before (sounds like your waste goes into the sink waste pipe which is ok).

Don't forget to remove the transit brackets, it will all be in the instructions. Usually four bolts in the back undo them pull out the rubber and plastic stays that the bolts fix into place, may take a strong grip. Insert blanks provided into the hole.

You may want to buy a 3/4" female iron cap from the plumbers merchants to cap off the unused hot washing machine tap.

Don't worry about the machine using cold water only, most machines only use hot water supply when boil wash selected.

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Don't worry about the machine using cold water only, most machines only use hot water supply when boil wash selected.

not true, they use hot to take in the powder, on any wash, cold is for rinse.

hot only is for 60 degrees and above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back