Washing Machine Isolation Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy one of these in advance of changing my washing machine, as I fear the existing valve may fail as it looks like it hasn't budged in years (I haven't lived there long).

The one that's on looks of sturdy construction and has plenty of space after the thread for the plastic hose nut to fit. The ones stocked by Toolstation and the like look particulalry cheap and nasty and have hardly any space after the handle to seat the plastic hose nut on. Where can I buy a sturdy one?

And do these come with an olive?

Sponsored Links
All I can say is that Pegler is about the best the public can get IMO, quality make, been fitting them for a long time.
There will always be the occasional one that may not be quite right but this is the same with anything you buy these days, then it's return and swap. If fitted correctly, everything kept squeaky clean, then these should give years of perfect service.

Sponsored Links
It does indeed look to be the only half decent one that joe public can get.

In terms of getting the old one off... I guess the olive will likely be well stuck in place. Can you reuse it and the old nut, or do you need to carefully remove the old olive. If so, any tips?

If the old one hasn't been over compressed then yes it can be used, just uses a few turns of PTFE tape on the olive before assembly, the only issue you may have is if the old nut is imperial, then it won't fit the new valve, check that 1st by dry fitting the new valve.

Ideally you should remove the old one, a pair of pliers or grips and twisting can sometimes get them off but don't squeeze too tight or you'll deform the pipe. Alternatively use a junior hacksaw and carefully cut 3/4 of the way through the olive then use a plain screwdriver in the cut to snap it the rest of the way. Careful not to cut the pipe.

If the old one hasn't been over compressed then yes it can be used, just uses a few turns of PTFE tape on the olive before assembly, the only issue you may have is if the old nut is imperial, then it won't fit the new valve, check that 1st by dry fitting the new valve.

Thanks again. Couple of questions - how do I know if the old one has been overly compressed? And as for the new valve, they all seem to be 15mm x 3/4 - I presume the 15mm is the pipe end and the 3/4 end is for where the washing machine hose threads onto. I take it you can no longer get imperial 3/4 at both ends? Why are all the new ones 15mm at one end but the washing machine hose end is 3/4? Seems crazy mixing imperial and metric.

Sorry for all the questions but I know that plumbing is never as easy as it may first seem and I'm always keen to learn.

If you compare the new olive shape with the old one, if the old one is misshapen then it's been over-compressed and needs replaced.
Yes, the 15mm is the supply pipe end and the 3/4" is the machine pipe end. No you don't get a valve with 3/4" both ends. You do sometime get an imperial 1/2" though never seen one for a washing machine valve
It may be to allow for a standardisation of machine fittings for manufacturers in different countries though it may actually be a 19mm end rather than 3/4" but everyone calls them 3/4".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back