WASHING MACHINE OTULET HOSE - OPTIONS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New washing machine delivered today and I have connected the hot and cold hoses to the appropriate pipes via the washing machine valves.

I'm doing the waste now and have 2 choices - to use a p trap from my sink with a spigot - and push the waste hose on to this and tighten with a jubilee clip or i can use a standpipe and run it into the gulley outside.

I have heard that the stand pipe way is best ? was reading a while back (can't remember where though) that they are less smelly? is this true?

another thing, if the outlet hose is not looped up high enough on to the sink trap spigot, will sink waste go into the washing machine via the waste hose, and vice versa?

any thing on this would be great guys.

Sponsored Links
personally i can't stand standpipes if they block they overflow and i think they are more smelly than into a trap.
where as if the sink trap blocks it comes up into the sink.
no sink waste won't go down into the wm

well it seems easier for me to cut the spigot end of and attacth the hose. i do not know why the spigots were supposed to be more smelly.. maybe a mis print?

ok i will go for the spigot - how high should i look the hose before it attaches to the spigot end though? it advises 600mm but i don't have that amount of height available under the sink!? anything i can do? will it be ok?

your spigot should be around 600mm from the floor if direct under the sink waste.

Sponsored Links
oh i see, i thought it was meaning the distance between where the hose hook loops up and the spigot!? so im ok then?

ok thank you for helping and giving me your advice. I will get onto it this afternoon when I buy some jubilee clips.. I am guessing B & Q or Wickes (both near me) sell them, maybe in packs?

use the hook (usually provided with the hose / machine) and hook it up under the sink (screw to back of cupboard, etc). this helps the pumped water from the machine flow away better - less chance of any bit pumping up and into sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back