washing machine problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new here, just need a quick bit of advice.

I live in rented accommodation. My landlord has, somewhat reluctantly (we're on good terms but he's a tight-fisted old so-and-so), provided a second hand w/m (Bosch Maxx) which has been running fine until recently. It's now developed a fault - it washes OK, but after a period of non-use, I open the door to find a pool of dirty smelly water in the drum, which has to be baled out.

Waste pipe blocked? I just need to know - is this an easy fix, or should I be talking landlord into replacing? Advice appreciated.

Geometer

Sponsored Links
The waste pipe from your machine needs to be positioned higher.

If you tie the waste pipe high to the back of the machine that should solve it.

I expect the problem lies with the fact that your machine is plumbed into the outlet under the sink.

The "dirty water" is draining from the sink and filling your machine up over a period of time.

Thanks Minton. I followed your advice before I went away for the hol. but I've returned to find it didn't work. The plumbing is as you describe, but because the machine is located beneath a work-surface next to the sink, it is impossible to raise the pipe more than a couple of inches higher than the machine outlet (which is at the top of the machine, and only an inch or two higher than the inlet to the sink pipe). Any further suggestions?

Obliged
Geometer

Would it be possible to fit a non return valve at the end of the washing machine waste pipe as it fits onto the kitchen waste?

Not sure if there is such a thing to be honest, but maybe one of the plumbers might be able to confirm.

Failing that, a trip down to your local DIY shed to ask them.

Was someone using the sink while you were away?

Sponsored Links
Was someone using the sink while you were away?

No, but I used the sink a couple of times when I got back, before I remembered to check the machine :rolleyes:

I'll talk to Landlord about the valve, but as the house is up for sale and I'll be moving out in the next 2-3 months, he probably won't think it worth the hassle :(

Thanks for your advice
Geometer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back