Washing machine pump waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Installing washing machine in remote location under stairs/ no drain near by

here’s what I’m proposing but never done before so thought I’d have an ask,

Fit washing machine with hose into hockey stick trap then connect to Grundfos sololift C-3 lifting station, core through the wall to outside and come up 2-3metres vertically then run 8 metres to the external stack.

Would connect to pump with 1” 1/2 and exit the pump with 1” 1/2

Ever done anything like this before?

Is it fine externally (would it freeze)

Any advice / comments / help are appreciated Thankyou

Sponsored Links
I think you might find that the washing machine could pump the water faster than the grundfos would over that distance but you'd need to confirm. If it does then the WM will overwhelm the grundfos and it'll get pretty wet under the stairs rather quickly.

@Madrab

if designed for washing machine would it not be fine no?
People in reviews have connected it to there washing machine so I’m not sure

Says it does 3.4l/s

Last edited:
Looking at the specs it should be ok. Would be useful if it showed the minimum flow (at max head) rather than max flow- 3.4 l/s will be fine, if it dropped to 1l/s on your setup (head on yours will be over 4m including the horizontal bits) that could be a worry.
As an aside, is the floor in your understairs concrete or suspended timber? If it's not solid I'd suggest getting the machine in there (on a lash-up basis- hose or placcie for water supply, builders tub for waste) and try a full load- you might find it dances about like a mad thing and/or makes a right racket.

Sponsored Links
First it is the right model for a washing m/c. Not sure, but on some it says no hockey stick, instead to do a direct connection and if doubts on freezing then lag the outlet pipe and build a wooden box for the pump and stuff it with Rockwall (or a n other) leaving the air vent uncovered.

@JTAI

I didn't say it won't work but over your distances the performance does drop off and that needs to be considered. You just need to be very sure that there is enough headroom in the pump to be able to do the job for you.

Don't know if I'd ever take the risk of pumping washing machine waste if the pump ever failed. Bit of a risk assessment I guess.

@JTAI

I didn't say it won't work but over your distances the performance does drop off and that needs to be considered. You just need to be very sure that there is enough headroom in the pump to be able to do the job for you.

Don't know if I'd ever take the risk of pumping washing machine waste if the pump ever failed. Bit of a risk assessment I guess.
Dont know if the Grundfos could overflow due to a problem but it will be outside and wouldnt the washing m/c stop with an error message?

Some washing machine waste pumps can lift the waste water several metres. If your machine can lift high enough to reach the outside then you would avoid the need to have a separate pump. Continuous hose from washing machine up to the 8 metre horizontal run.

If the pump failed then, as mentioned, the waste water would flood the areas around the washing machine. It would be sensible to have some way that the washing machine stopped pumping if the external pump failed / over flowed or use a pump with a tank large enough to take a full load of waste water and a reliable "tank full" alarm to warn you not to use the washing machine..

Dont know if the Grundfos could overflow due to a problem but it will be outside and wouldnt the washing m/c stop with an error message?
Installing washing machine in remote location under stairs/ no drain near by
core through the wall to outside and come up 2-3metres vertically then run 8 metres to the external stack.

My understanding is that it will be inside under the stairs hence needing to core through the wall to outside? maybe not.

I've seen some WM's just keep pumping all over the floor and only stop when the pump itself stops but I don't know what happens with these macerator/pumps and if they overflow or if they back flow to the pump and stop the flow, then the WM would probably stop.

What about using a Saniflo? I would still install a separate high level switch in case of failure.

My understanding is that it will be inside under the stairs hence needing to core through the wall to outside? maybe not.

I've seen some WM's just keep pumping all over the floor and only stop when the pump itself stops but I don't know what happens with these macerator/pumps and if they overflow or if they back flow to the pump and stop the flow, then the WM would probably stop.

Could you just have the pump inside a tank and have an overflow on that tank which just terminates outside, this option does seem a bit like creating a random type of system but that’s a fair precaution realistically

Could you just have the pump inside a tank and have an overflow on that tank which just terminates outside, this option does seem a bit like creating a random type of system but that’s a fair precaution realistically
You could, do you have room? Anyway thought you said pump would be outside?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back