Washing Machine & Tumble Drier in Same socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought it worth posting the set up I have in my utility room to highlight the dangers of putting a w/m & t/d in the same double 13amp socket, and not taking professional advice from an electrician. I used to have just the w/m in the utility but got a plumber to alter it so the drier could fit in too. He just changed the single 13 amp socket to a double, supplied by this Tenby grid switch:

One day the 20amp double pole switch engraved "washing machine" started sizzling so I switched it off and got a professional round. The washing machine switch was burnt out due to overloading.

He also noticed that my burglar alarm ( the white cable) was wired into the supply of the extractor fan. It was the wrong size of cable, no fuse, and had no grommet. The fan itself was not fused down and was therefore being supplied from the ring main:

These latter 2 issues have been present since the house was built which really cheesed me off. :evil:

My professional sparky is going to sort it out. :D

Anyway - thought it worth highlighting what can happen with overloading in a kitchen environment.

Sponsored Links
the double socket will also have been overloaded. They are not rated to two large appliances.

This problem almost always occurs when a Drier and a Washer share a socket :( There are very few other cases where two large appliance loads are used together. Sometimes a dishwasher though its heating cycle is shorter.

I have often queried the supplying of 20 amp switches from 32 amp ring mains it is often done and to 17th edition 433.2.2 the outlets need to be within 3 meters of the switch. But if from a 20 amp radial there is no limit.

I have seen double sockets replace single sockets which were supplied through a 20 amp switch where the person doing the work is unaware that there is a switch on the supply.

Sorry to say what every rules are brought in it will never stop people breaking the rules.

I have seen people complain about how their electrician has broken the rules but the same person thinks nothing about breaking 30mph speed limit.

But just like speed camera's tend to make people think twice so does filling in an installation or minor works certificate. When they know the work they are doing in future could be only limited to 4 electricians who may have done it they may take a chance. But when they have to sign for the work then they are a bit more careful.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back