washing machine waste into this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not my house..trying to help someone out..new house (to them)..refurbed kitchen..space for washing machine & cold feed /valve is present (& hot water but not needed). But no-one has ever used the space for a washing-machine or dishwasher (estate agent) & there is no waste outlet of any sort!

The space for the machine backs onto an outside wall to the left of the sink unit in the picture & this is therefore not too far from the drain to which the kitchen sink waste goes...& drilling out through tile/back wall and installing standard white waste pipe & fittings is one option.

However, I wondered what folk think re this: is it possible to run the flexi waste pipe from a washing machine (ordered but not yet delivered) through the LH side (white) panel of the sink unit which is to the right of where a machine would sit.. and (somehow) tap into this existing sink-waste arrangement? I have seen some fittings that involve a spigot arrangement. I have no idea what "breed" the grey waste pipes/fittings are (anyone recognise it?)

All important photos attached. 'scuse the quality..sent to me by email.

thanks for reading. View media item 88332 View media item 88336

Sponsored Links
The grey pipes are part of a Franke spazio waste - it`s a bodge and you're better off buying a complete new Mac Alpine waste set - it will have a connection for a W/M. :idea:

The grey waste loks like propriety waste pipe that is usually supplied with some stainless steel sinks you can get, it does fit normal 40mm waste usually without issue.

Easiest way IMO would be a washing machine spigot adapter to go inline with the white waste pipe, replacing the white compression coupler that is there at the moment. Then just run the grey drain pipe from the washing machine to it through the wall of the adjoining cabinet. Couple of clips and there you go.
Mcalpine V33s is what you need. http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/1-189-domestic-appliance-tee-piece.html They usually connect into a normal P trap positioned after the connector.

Cannot see where the is trap in that setup though, is it connected lower down, under the shelf where the current white pipe is heading into? May be worthwhile replacing waste setup to normal McAlpine setup, spigot can be supplied with that and will perform better.

thanks both..
>Nige good to know..yes looks like what I can see when I google Franke..I had no clue before...so cheers for that.
>thanks for the advice..re the trap I don't know..none of the photos I have show what happens under the shelf..so I'll ask!
As you say may be better to start afresh.. with the minor caveat that in my limited experience if the sink/ bowl is watertight don't mess unless you have to!

re the mcalpine fitting ..thanks for the link..just looked ..would a swept-T be marginally better i.e.
http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/1-189-domestic-appliance-swept-tee.html?id=1027..or is there nothing in it?

Sponsored Links
A swept T would always better for flow if the sink is being drained at the same time. Apologies, didn't notice that the one I had linked to was a straight T rather than a swept one.

Would it make much difference in practice, wouldn't think it would make much though I guess it would depend on the flow from the washing machine and whether it exceeds the 40mm pipe capacity when the plug was pulled in the sink(s). If it empties the trap when it's all running then an antivac trap for the sink may be needed.

>Madrab..thanks again..
at the risk of labouring the point ..what do you reckon the 2 blanked-off fittings are for..i.e. the ones directly under each of the sink bowls facing outward into the room?
I would have thought a Franke spigot (if one were lying around somewhere or you could source one) would fit into such an orifice..but surely they are far too near the sink bowl to work well..as w/m waste water would tend to go up into the sink I'd have thought?

The usual connection for that would be for the sink overflow, if the sink doesn't have one they would be blanked off.

No use for a WM spigot no, for the reason you mention.

As far as replacing the plumbing pipework is concerned and introducing leaks, it should all be 40mm so the wastes fitted to the bowls don't need to be removed just all the plastic pipework attached below it.

many thanks..re the retro fitting of new plastic parts yes now I see that.

And given the current bodged pipework, do check for a correctly fitted trap, should be somewhere below the shelf if at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back