Washing machine waste pipe is this ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just renovating an old kitchen, this is what was under sink, with previous washing machine waste pipe going into the right hand side. Is this ok? I just wasn't sure as there is a bend in the pipe where the sink waste pipe meets if that makes sense.

PXL_20230518_074220181.jpg

Sponsored Links
No its not right.

There is no trap on the washing machine side so foul air can enter the room.
The T before the pipe exits through the wall is a swept T. The sink waste will go the correct way round the sweep but the washing machine waste will have its flow restricted.
If there is a blockage further downstream, sink water is likely to flow out of the washing machine upstand.

You would be better off ripping that out and starting again. Use solvent weld pipe and fittings and feed the washing machine waste into the spigot on the sink trap.

You want to get it all out anyway, regardless and re-do it. It's all pushfit and that's just a potential nightmare waiting to happen, especially as it's isn't supported anywhere.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice and glad I wasn't wrong!

Sponsored Links
Also replace all the copper from where the dust pan is, you don't want any of those screw in washing machine valves, they always leak when you look at them.

Andy

Also replace all the copper from where the dust pan is, you don't want any of those screw in washing machine valves, they always leak when you look at them.

Andy

And get rid of the hot water washing machine valve? Washing machines haven't use hot water supplies for years.

Andy

Thanks, what valve would you recommend using?

No its not right.

The T before the pipe exits through the wall is a swept T. The sink waste will go the correct way round the sweep but the washing machine waste will have its flow restricted.
If there is a blockage further downstream, sink water is likely to flow out of the washing machine upstand.

You would be better off ripping that out and starting again. Use solvent weld pipe and fittings and feed the washing machine waste into the spigot on the sink trap.
Thanks for your help. I'm planning on putting the washing machine in to the right of what is there at the moment. It has come with one of those U shaped drain hose holder things, so am I right in thinking I then don't need to connect the washing machine waste into the sink pipe spigot?

What kind of connection could I use instead of the swept T so that the washing machine waste still comes from the right (hope that makes sense).

Why not feed the w/m waste into the spigot? it is what its for. I wouldn't want to use an upstand w/m trap with the outlet through the wall being so high (there would be hardly any upstand). If you really want to go that route, then drill another hole through the wall. If the waste drops into a gulley outside, this would be easy enough to do.

Why not feed the w/m waste into the spigot? it is what its for. I wouldn't want to use an upstand w/m trap with the outlet through the wall being so high (there would be hardly any upstand). If you really want to go that route, then drill another hole through the wall. If the waste drops into a gulley outside, this would be easy enough to do.
I just thought as the washing machine waste pipe was coming from the other side (on the right of the pic), however if it makes no difference then yes I'll do that

If you're going to do that then get rid of the WM section all together ( everything right of the tee, replace the tee with a swept bend.

As suggested too though, I'd replace all of it for proper connections (compression/solvent weld) and get the copper tidied up, clipped and a proper valve fitted.

No its not right.

Just got some solvent weld pipe and fittings, but how do I join them to the pipe that is coming through the wall, which I can't take out as concreted in?

Sorry forget that, that won't solvent weld.

Use one of those and it will seal onto the solvent weld pipe and then use your solvent weld fittings on the other end of the pipe.

Are you sure you need the solvent weld fittings I'd imagine you'd just need a couple of extra lengths of pipe to get a standard sink waste to an elbow joint at the pipe through the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back