Washing machine wont fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I have a visual impairment and this is proving more difficult of a task. I'm a complete noob when it comes to DIY.

Recently, my family member helped install a new U bend bc I can't see well and this new one has enough things to fit a washing machine and dishwasher.

Before this, my dishwasher wasn't hooked up and my washing machine was and worked fine. After family member went away, I found the washing machine wasn't draining. Plumber came out and found that family forgot to remove something that meant the water couldn't get through the pipes.

Plumber sorted that out and ran a test spin and drain to make sure it was draining. It is so now that's fixed.

Problem is, when I start a cycle now on the washing machine, nothing happens. I don't get any sound that it is filling. Even though I think I can feel the water flowing through the pipe.

I don't see the drum filling with water either and the program on the washing machine keeps pausing.

It's been nothing but trouble since this was installed the other day.

Also, I have a red tap and a blue tap (one hot one cold?) And the washing machine is attached to the red tap. Does that matter? I read the manual and it says it should connect to a cold water tap only but my dishwasher is hooked up to that right now. Do I need to get something so I can run both machines off of the cold tap? Woukd that even work?

I'm terrified of messing with this because last time I ended up flooding my kitchen. (I couldn't see that I hadn't turned off the water tap before removing the hose)

Which way means that the tap is turned off? I can turn it vertical or horizontal. I've tried both ways while trying to get the washing machine to fill but it didn't work.

Honestly I'm usually not this stupid with things, but this is very confusing to me and I just want to be able to get clean clothes.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
You need both appliances to be fed with cold water.
Washing machine water isolation valves are closed when the handle is at 90 degrees to the supply pipe ,and open when in line.
Having said that ,the handles are plastic ,can crack, and not turn the spindle of the valve, this can mislead you .
As the plumber filled the machine on test ,the water supply should be ok ,unless someone has moved the machine or meddled with it since .
So it sounds more like an appliance issue.

You need both appliances to be fed with cold water.
Washing machine water isolation valves are closed when the handle is at 90 degrees to the supply pipe ,and open when in line.
Having said that ,the handles are plastic ,can crack, and not turn the spindle of the valve, this can mislead you .
As the plumber filled the machine on test ,the water supply should be ok ,unless someone has moved the machine or meddled with it since .
So it sounds more like an appliance issue.
Well the plumber didn't fill the machine when testing, she just drained the water that was in there. When it was first installed, I managed to do a cycle but it took longer than usual and theater was pooling on the floor which is when the came out and fixed it. The check they did was to do a spin and drain of the water that was still in the machine.

When I finished that cycle and tried to do another, it won't fill with water. Hence, my problem.

I was trying to remove the hose so I could attach it to the cold water instead im case that was the problem, but it's on too tight and I don't have a wrench. So I will get one and try that.

I read that if the water coming into the machine is too hot, the washing machine protectively might not run. I don't know if that's true.

Check the machines filling hose isn't kinked/ bent/ restricted which can sometimes happen when machine is pushed back into its usual position.
If water is supplied at a hot temperature the machine would still fill with water ,although it may well not operate as it should .

Sponsored Links
Check the machines filling hose isn't kinked/ bent/ restricted which can sometimes happen when machine is pushed back into its usual position.
If water is supplied at a hot temperature the machine would still fill with water ,although it may well not operate as it should .
So in reading the manual it mentions that because the washing machine is a cold fill washing machine, if it was connected to the hot fill tap, it will not run as a protective measure as it could damage the machine.

I think this might be what's happening here because I changed from a 30° cycle, to a 90° cycle and when I pressed start on that, it immediently worked. I'd have to look over the manual again but for now, it I'd running on a 90° cycle, and will not run on any cold cycles.

I will change the washing machine over to the cold water tap as soon as I can, I just need to get something to connect up so I can run both machines from that tap. Will that work? Do I need a certain water pressure for that to work OK? I wouldn't generally be running the dishwasher at the same time as the washing machine, but it might happen sometimes.

You can buy a fitting that screws onto the cold isolation valve and two appliance hose connect to it. Or pipework can be altered to provide 2 Seperate cold isolation valves.
Mains cold water would comfortably run both.

Just look for a Washing machine Y piece on Amazon ;)

Buy the brass one Y piece if you're going for that, not the plastic one. If you buy the plastic one, be prepared for a possible flood.

Thank you all for the advice. I was gonna go for the brass y piece because I felt like it would be a safer choice.

Unfortunately my problems still aren't solved. Would there be a reason that the washing machine starts the cycle fine but then when it comes time to rinse, it doesn't do it? I thought my problem was fixed but apparently not. It will wash and it will spin and drain, but it won't rinse. I'm confused.

Sounds like a fault with the appliance ,electronics / PCB possibly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back