WashMachine backing up water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with water backing up in the vertical standpipe that the drainage hose is connected to. I've actually witnessed the overflow whilst the machine was draining.

The pipe is high enough above the floor (at least 24inches, probably more) and the ubend does not appear to be blocked (I've removed it and checked). There may of course be a blockage elsewhere, but water does seem to drain over the full course of the cycle. The actual overflow only **seems** to happen when the machine is pumping a lrge volume of water.

The pipe is not particularly thin and the hose is pushed down securley inside the standpipe, although only about 4 inches or so deep. But this should be enough. Also, the joints are all hand tightened.

I did think that I had fixed the problem, as it had not happened for a good few months after the first occurance. But now, after having moved the machine and then replaced it again (in the same place) the problem has recurred. It may just be a case poor installation, but I really don't think so.

I have read about "siphoning" and other drainage problems and am worried that there may be something going wrong that I cannot identify.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks very much.
Matt

Sponsored Links
The pipe you are draining into obviously has some degree of blockage. Just pour a bottle of 'blockage remover' down it plus any other drains that feed into the same waste pipe.

agree with the above.

i got claaed out for that, bloke said pipe was clear, i pulled it off held it to the light, looked through it , gave it to the blike and said bye.

there for all who looked was a big lump of gunk stuck inside the pipe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back