Wasps Nests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the remenents of a huge wasps nest which I was greeted with as I crawled under a floor today. The joists are 6x2s on 16" centers, and the nest extends beyond the wall on the left. :eek:

waspsnest.jpg

Anyone else met anything rather disconcerting while wedged under a floor?

Sponsored Links
I once farted in a very confined space and regretted it for several minutes.

not under a floor, but in a cable duct (it wasnt me though)

some one got caught short in the duct and so dumped there and then

the ducts being underground do get flooded

we were working on cable tray, securing cables we had recently pulled in.

to fix the cleats we were using gutter bolts

to save losing them theyre were put on the top tray

becuse the object floats when the ducts filled with water it floated too

a mate went to grab some more bolts and 3 geusses what he grabbed.

Sponsored Links
Yes. I found a cat skeleton, but could not own up to the customer as she had just told me the story of how they lost kittykins, could hear her miaowing for a week, but could not find her.....

Have also refused to go into a floor void flooded with raw sewage...

When I ripped out my kitchen ceiling, bras, knickers and skimpy t-shirts fell out of it. I was half expecting an arm to flop down at one point. Due to the size of these items of clothing, it was neither my wife's or the previous occupant's, so must've been there some time.

Sorry....edited out as what I initially thought was funny is not....

Someone at work told me this morning that he lifted some downstairs floorboards at the weekend and found 2' of water in a 5' basement. Apparently the area is clay and is prone to flooding with many natural springs, and the gardens are often waterlogged. He told me he's trying to pump it out but I would have thought that it's been like that for most of the 54 years since the house was built.

there can be a problem pumping out... the fine content of the soil pumps out with the water, you end up with a big hole in the ground under the house... sometimes the house falls into it.

Pumping from under a floor is best done with a porous concrete sump that water can get through, but the soil particles can't. With clay, it is almost impossible.

Sponsored Links
Back