Waste and Extracotr fans - do building regs affect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't think that building regs affected either of these, but a plumber who quoted me for some work tells me that Build Regs approval is required to remove an old lead waste pipe that feeds into a hopper adn replace i with a plastic one. Seems wrong to me and he did wear cowboy boots ;) Is he right?

I presume there are no building regs covering fitting a new extractor fan (well, apart from Part P for the electricalside and ensuring I get a compliant extractor fa). Am I right...?

Sponsored Links
No regs. relevant to changing the lead waste to a plastic but if he’s changing the waste form the current hopper feed (not sure but don’t think your allowed to do that any more) to an arrangement feeding directly into a new or existing foul drain, it must comply with current Building Regs. It’s very unlikely LABC will want to get involved but you never know as they are short of work at the moment!

The fan must have the specified extract rate for the room & have an IP rating relative to its location if it’s in a bathroom; & Part P rules if it's a kitchen or bathroom so make sure you get a minor works & compliance certificate from the spark. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back