Waste in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have seen in previous posts that it isn't recommended to drill through studs from a stud wall in order to route waste pipes. However, in my case i would like to run a shower waste inside a 1m section of stud wall. This would involve drilling into 2 vertical studs. I'm in a bungalow and the wall is not supporting anything. The studs (for some reason) are made up from 2 x 2.5 inch timbers, giving a total cavity width of 5 inches to drill into. Waste is 40mm. Seeing as I would be taking out just 20mm approx from each of the timbers edges, would this be a viable case for routing waste in this manner. Would adding some kind of bracing above and below the holes help?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Well, I'd go for it!
Try to run the pipe in one length if you can, but if you must join it, consider solvent weld fittings or plastic push fit (the same make as the pipe).
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back