Running 32mm waste through 3x2 studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my plumber has suggested running a 32mm basin waste through my 3x2 wall studs in my bathroom, I'm feeling pretty uneasy about this, due to it weakening the integrity of the studs, the wall is currently down to bare studs and will be reboarded in 12mm moisture board once the plumber has done first fix, if this is the route I go down in the hope of having zero exposed pipes or avoiding boxing in, is there a way I can reinforce the drilled studs, I have posted a similar post in the building section, so sorry for potential duplicate posts.

Carl

Attachments

• 20190204_161207.jpg
    20190204_161207.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 577
Sponsored Links
I can't offer any advise, but that is some beautiful woodwork.
I'm not sure if your being serious or sarcastic lol, its a 1895 victorian terrace but unsure if that wall is original, as it appears all the upstairs walls are stud with lath and plaster.

Sponsored Links
Can you not add framing to one side, say 38mm to cover the waste pipe?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, do you mean to extend the studs outwards by 38mm and run the waste through the additional timber?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, do you mean to extend the studs outwards by 38mm and run the waste through the additional timber?
yes that would be your best bet, and get some extra insulation in there as you are doing it before sheeting it, the slats that you see are the Laths for the lathing plaster

Yes, you wouldn't have enough timber left by drilling through the studs as they are

Yes, you wouldn't have enough timber left by drilling through the studs as they are

Then this is what I will do, I've been sat here stressing since he suggested it, I knew in my own mind it didn't leave any meat in the timber even if it isn't a load bearing wall.

yes that would be your best bet, and get some extra insulation in there as you are doing it before sheeting it, the slats that you see are the Laths for the lathing plaster

Hi ianmcd, this is an internal wall, it will have moisture board and tile, do you think it needs insulation, it is a heated room and both rooms either side are heated.

Carl

Hi ianmcd, this is an internal wall, it will have moisture board and tile, do you think it needs insulation, it is a heated room and both rooms either side are heated.

Carl
Personally I would, for all insulation costs you are as well doing the job right, not too big a deal if you dont, I would though

I was serious, it was clearly installed by a skilled carpenter.
It's almost a text book example of herringbone noggin work (including the 1in square rail beneath the ceiling plate which the studs are notched out to locate into - that made it easier to put up quickly) and the laths are pretty even considering that they are generally something like cleaved chestnut, not sawn. Often when we open stuff up it's a lot messier and untidier than that, so I suppose it is artistic in its' own way

OP I'd have gone with boxing in as it uses less material, but if you don't want to do that sistering the wall out with treated 2 x 2 CLS is as good a way as any to go. I'd just try to avoid drilling the old studs as far as possible because they are pretty small section to start with

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back