Waste pipe bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will UHU Epxoy Adhesive (2-K-Quick) glue and bond waste pipe joints?

Sponsored Links
Joints in waste pipes are solvent welded not glued, get the correct stuff and save yourself a future full of grief, pipes and fittings have to be compatible as well

Sponsored Links
Yup, that's the stuff, as long as the pipe is ABS solvent weld. If it's push fit PVC/PP then it'll need a different approach

This is the job. A short piece of 43mm waste pipe into a shower drain adapter coupler.

full

Difficult to tell exactly from that picture, should be something on the shower trap, moulded into the plastic, giving details. Traps are often Polypropylene, so not suitable for solvent welding.

The black pipe which has been in situ since '92, when the old shower was installed by the house builder, is 43m and I presume its standard waste pipe that was being used at the time.

The white pipe is the adapter, supplied by Mira to install their tray, which they say should be solvent welded.

full

The job's a bit more involved now. There's not enough room to fix the shower waste trap so I'm going modify the pipe starting at the sub floor point. Cut off the 90 from the pipe sub floor, fit a new 90, up, another 90 then a T to accommodate the pipe of the waste trap. I'll do with solvent weld joints. The long pipe can swivel to suit because its on a compression fitting from the down pipe off the h/w tank.

full

Fair comment. Always wise to solvent weld anything that'll be difficult to get to, but I's try and use swept bends in preference to the knuckle 90's, easier to get a 'Snake' round in future if you have problems with slow draining.

New pipe run done and to me its looks better. Will add the pipe to the shower trap when in place.

full

Its new joints and pipe from a local plumbers merchant so how can it be cheap and nasty?

I used white bends because they had no black in stock.

ABS waste is pretty much of a muchness across all the manufacturers, had problems with the Polypipe fitting before, and I'd have said they're one of the bigger manufacturers over the years! Cheap traps can leak, but dont see much wrong with that waste.

Last edited:
Well its my first episode with solvent weld pipes although I may get a McAlpine Flexcon6 flexi for coupling the shower waste so its easy to remove and clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back