Waste pipe (gulley) repeated blockages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a issue since moving in this house with the waste. Sink gets blocked, shower gets blocked and basin gets blocked. I have managed to get to back of the house we’re the waste pipe is. I have taken a few photos. I would love advice and help on how to rectify this.
Also how to clear the blockage.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 4154057877.jpg
    iOS Image - 4154057877.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 101
  • iOS Image - 2479274127.jpg
    iOS Image - 2479274127.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 117
  • iOS Image - 2710544360.jpg
    iOS Image - 2710544360.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 110
  • iOS Image - 2082308865.jpg
    iOS Image - 2082308865.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 94
  • iOS Image - 1129728127.jpg
    iOS Image - 1129728127.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
I thought that it all must go to into a stack. But it seems to just be going into the ground and left there ? I’m not sure

Looks like a blocked gulley. It is very likely broken.

How old is the house?

You are probably going to have to dig it out and replace

looks like access will be difficult with that extension in the way.

how do you get on with your neighbours on the other side of the fence?

Hi Ricky,

Do you know where the nearest manhole is - & can you lift the cover?

The gulley trap and/or the gulley drain pipe are blocked.
Wearing rubber gloves or gauntlets you can reach into the gulley and clear it of debris and water.

The gulley drain pipe might run into the nearest manhole?

I noticed a bit of bushy debris that had maybe been removed from the gulley drainage previously?
Did that bushy thing (it looked like roots) come from the gulley? Or was it simply a dead bush?

After the gulley trap is cleaned out then,
you might have to work back from the nearest manhole.

I'm on my dinnertime now but there are a number of other issues that I'll comment on this evening if you want?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking at the colour of the water it looks like a grease buildup.

Hi Ricky,

Wearing rubber gloves or gauntlets you can reach into the gulley and clear it of debris and water.

The gulley drain pipe might Tee into the soil pipe thats draining the vertical S&VP (soil pipes dont enter gullies, they are separate from waste water) or it might run independently to the nearest manhole?

I noticed a bit of bushy debris that had maybe been removed from the gulley drainage previously?
Did that bushy thing (it looked like roots) come from the gulley? Or was it simply a dead bush?

After the gulley trap is cleaned out then, If you can get the angle, Rods will probably clear the gulley drain pipe.
If not you will have to work back from the nearest manhole.

I'm on my dinnertime now but there are a number of other issues that I'll comment on this evening if you want?

I can’t find the nearest manhole. Also regarding the bushy thing it was there before I checked I presume it was just some dead leafs. I’ll clear out the gully trap. Yes please if you could give those comments

Hi Ricky,

The gulley drain pipe might Tee into the soil pipe thats draining the vertical S&VP (soil pipes dont enter gullies, they are separate from waste water) or it might run independently to the nearest manhole?

After the gulley trap is cleaned out then, If you can get the angle, Rods will probably clear the gulley drain pipe.
If not you will have to work back from the nearest manhole.

Looks like a blocked gulley. It is very likely broken.

How old is the house?

You are probably going to have to dig it out and replace

looks like access will be difficult with that extension in the way.

how do you get on with your neighbours on the other side of the fence?

I ain’t going to be able to dig that out and replace never done that before. And I’m ok with the neighbours no issues

The gulley drain pipe might Tee into the soil pipe thats draining the vertical S&VP (

There is no vertical S+VP . that's a rainwater size pipe. Don't bother commenting this evening. Though your powers may tell where the actual soil pipe is - you see and know things many of us don't

Ricky,
Your gulley drain could be blocked with roots or, given its age, it might be broken.
After repairs cover the gulley hole with a metal grate.

To examine the gulley, & its surround, you need to clean all around the rain water pipe and the gulley - high pressure hose works best. Then dry it off, and then look for cracks etc.

Can you say what the various pipes & bits of pipes are being used for?
The pipe clipped low along the wall has as dip in it that could block now and then? It needs re-fixing to falls.
The loose elec cable needs being made safe.

If you own the property there are a few other issues ref rendered walls & plinth, and possible interior damp.

Keep looking for a manhole - you might need it?

Last edited:
I'm well wrong. Thank you for correcting my loose thinking.
I've edited my post since you advised me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back