Watch repaired

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old faithful Casio Waveceptor with solar charging and MSF syncing has been showing signs of it's age, for a few years now. It has kept plodding along, but the analogue display would often slip time with the digital side. I fitted a new rechargeable battery a couple of years ago, thinking the 'slip' might be due to an ailing battery and it seemed to fix it for a while, but....

It's a watch I never take off, I wear it night and day, I even wear it in the bath, as it is supposed to be watertight and it has never leaked.

Around three years ago, a friend sent me his none solar Wavecepter, which he had tried to fit a new battery to and messed up - as a gift, in bits. I fixed it up, got it working, but wasn't happy with the O ring type case seal. Habitually I didn't think to remove it and the first time I took a bath it leaked. So I sort of abandoned it with the case open to dry out. In the meantime I ordered up a mixed bag of O ring seals, but not a one fitted, all too large a diameter, so it remained abandoned, until this week.

This week I thought to have another go, ordered up some new batteries, fitted one, reassembled, then took a bath forgetting about it leaking. Took a bath and it leaked. Left it open again to dry out, until this afternoon, checked it was working with yet another new battery and started thinking about how to solve the back/case seal leak problem. I laid a thin trace of superglue in the grove where the O ring was supposed to fit, cut one of the too large O rings, and gradually worked is around stuck into the grove, then cut it to neatly butt up to the other end, gave it time to set, then put a slight smear of grease over the O ring seal.

A quick test suggests it now is case sealed, no misting of the inside of the crystal. Trickiest part was getting the four tiny brass finger type switches, to all drop in under the side buttons, one would always pop out of position trying to fit the rear cover.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
He has plenty of time on his hands. :)
ACFF460E-E4F8-4A1D-8B03-7F60DC0BB4F1.gif

Is that why you are immune?

Sorry, Harry, only joking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back