Water Banging Shared Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor maisonette and the water is shared with upstairs the pipe runs in through my flat and then a pipe goes upstairs. It's very weird as my bathroom was originally connected to a supply that ran into a tank in upstairs loft but when getting work done we connected the bathroom to the mains. It's not an ideal set up and would prefer separate supplies and that's costly. I can leave the situation but not the banging!!! Everything a tap or the washing machine either mine or upstairs goes on it bangs and drives me nuts. When upstairs use there's is worse. We are in a high pressurue not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway how do I stop the banging??? And is it causing damage, will the pipes leak of I don't fix it. I don't think my neighbours are too bothered as it doesn't affect them. Any help and thoughts welcome! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Water hammer... In your case it's most likely caused by the high water pressure you have mentioned basically what's happening is the waters traveling the narrow pipe at pressure and as it hit a bend or closed valve it's banging which yes could wear valves etc but would most likely take a long time, other causes of this could be loose pipe mountings allowing the pipe to move and bang on a floor board or what ever.

There is a cure and like I said with you saying you have high water pressure id definitely say it's that you can fit a pressure regulating valve were the supply comes in to the property depending on your skills you may want to pay a plumber but in the long run you will be better off with the peace and quite plus it will prolong the life of the dish washer etc as high pressure can have a impact on them too.

Josh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back