water based gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am having my house decorated in a couple of weeks and decorator has told me she will be using water based gloss, can people tell me how this compares to oil based gloss?

Sponsored Links
Outside or inside? if its outside i would'nt have anything outsisde that was waterbased. The timber will move round so much that the paint cant cope with it an flake off. Inside, they have not yet perfected awaterbased gloss to give a high enough shine like oilbased gloss.

I have always been disappointed with these water based gloss paints.

The do not cover very well in my experience.

Interesting reply that robbie.. I'm in your camp.. Just cant get into these water based glosses..Dulux acrylic undercoatI use all the time but Only gloss I find gives a decent shine (interior) to date is dulux aquatec, But had a bad time with that staying tacky. Unless they perfected it now?... Seems you have to give 2 scrubbed out coats :eek: sooo I tend to carry on with me solvent based ...Know where I stand etc .... ;)
Tho the new breed of deccis I suppose are used to it and ..well...

Sponsored Links
It's harder to apply, and as previous poster say it's not as shiny as oil based, if you use water based gloss be sure to use a brush with synthetic bristles. The only advantage of water based white gloss is that it stays whiter longer

Make sure she uses the Dulux one or Johnstones(which is the same but dries quicker)..they have the best finish...unfortunatly they also take longest to dry and are the worst coverers compared to oter W/B glosses.

Its all about sacrifices..

Water based dries quick dont smell bad stays white and is more flexible on an outside

Down side..not good covering power lower sheen compared to traditional gloss and a bit like trying to gloss with vinyl silk...oh and it can shw the brushmarks more becasue it dries quick they dont have time to flow out...which is why the Dulux/Johnstones stuff takes longer.

In my 30 yrs as a decorator i have never liked water based glosses. They have their uses as no smell, fast drying etc but iv'e seen too many outsides that have flaked after only a few months. like my neighbours!! Not one of my jobs. Hit it with the hoover and see if it stays on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back