water based satin skirting board problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
bought some mdf skirting boards and decided to paint them before fixing to wall.....but....the finish is terrible. ive used a water based satin.and from searching on here after ive painted it would appear that I have used an oil based undercoat and the 2 dont work well together.
I used Leyland Trade undercoat (says on the the tin -"ideal basecoat for gloss")
I then sanded lightly and applied 1 coat of Homebase Quick dry Satin.
It just looks all...."speckly" is the best way I can describe it.
Please help - how do I fix this? will try and post pic. Ive tried a 2nd coat on a few pieces and it has helped it a little bit but not really.
Any help much appreciated from the experts

Sponsored Links
the above pic is of one of the boards with one coat of satin applied and fully dried.

You didn't wait long enough for it to dry. It works really well when you leave it a few days.

yeah I did read that on here but only after I had painted them. What is the best way to fix?
sand down and then apply undercoat again - then allow 2-3 days drying time?
OR
Sand down worst areas and keep applying Satin top coats?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. Give it a sand so that there are no proud areas then re-satin it.

I was doing similar, but didn't have the time to wait between coats. So i stripped my mdf back and re-undercoated and painted with water based satinwood. 2 coats of each
Got really nice finish in less than half the time it takes to wait for the gloss stuff to dry.

Not helpful to you now i guess, but thought it worth mentioning.

We have cats and a dog so simply cannot afford the drying time without the huge chance of hairs getting all over the paintwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back