water bike

Sponsored Links
I know it's hard for the victim but technicalities in law have to be addressed otherwise chaos ensues, any irregularities can be ironed out later with an amendment to the act in the case of major alteration needed or a minor change through process of adjudication.

A judge had previously ruled that the bikes were ships in terms of section 58 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.

But the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Phillips, said on Wednesday: "By no stretch of the imagination could that craft be so described.

"While jet skis are used on the sea in proximity to land, they do not go to sea on voyages nor, we suspect, would they be seaworthy in heavy weather."

Blimey, that took 8 secs to read .. how much did the paper shufflers earn sorry I mean extract for that sentence?
:D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
I think the fault lays with the CPS in the original conviction..they should never have used the legislation for shipping for this type of incident..

I agree the Guy should not get away scott free, and lets give him credit for being negligent in the original case.

What should happen now is that a consultation ensues to bring forth legislation that will allow the authorities to take the appropriate action against those who use such equipment in a foolish, reckless or dangerous manner.

This should be be seen as a defeat for justice, but a chance for Justice to get the tools it requires for future victories...

i would have thought that it still comes under the definitions in the international collision regulations and would be subject to them

Ah, but it wasn't international waters :!:

This is no different to mopeds abroad. how many people get to the hotel, unpack and then see about hiring themselves a turn-and-burn to bomb about on? No helmet, basic insurance, no bike training and possibly no licence at all!

Jetskis and mopeds are both easy to ride, that is part of the attraction. But they are also incredibly dangerous in the hands of people who are

a) inexperienced
b) overly confident
c) focussed on their own good time and thus not paying attention to the world around them

A water ski is surely a sea going vessel, well they sail out to the needles from poole (Dorset). Think the judge is thinking of a water ski on a lake. :confused: He should see the antics these skis get up to in poole harbour many a time they have caused large ferries, trawlers to take avoiding action.
The guy originally found guilty is a yob on water as far as i'm concerned.

Ah, but it wasn't international waters

they apply in all waters/harbours etc regardless of wether they are international waters or not.

confidentincompetent said:
yob on water

I went on a jetski last week that got up to 72 km/h according to the speedo :D :D :evil:

I would just like to add that there were no boats or people in the vicinity.

A water ski is surely a sea going vessel, well they sail out to the needles from poole (Dorset). Think the judge is thinking of a water ski on a lake. :confused: He should see the antics these skis get up to in poole harbour many a time they have caused large ferries, trawlers to take avoiding action.

If I was the pilot of a large ferry I wouldn't alter my course for some numpty on a jetski.

thats the point im making, under the collision regs you shouldnt have to, unless as a last result

dg123 said:

If I was the pilot of a large ferry I wouldn't alter my course for some numpty on a jetski.
Nah, bound to attempt the miss ... imagine the stigma ..'Ferry skipper chases down notso jetski in opnen, rough seas, then pulps the poor sob with a set of DD screws'
Tis a blunt, powered instrument ...
:eek:

petewood said:
yob on water

I went on a jetski last week that got up to 72 km/h according to the speedo :D :D :evil:

I would just like to add that there were no boats or people in the vicinity.

Ok I'll reverse that to BOY on water :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back