Baby inquest told of water fault

Would having a metal tank prevent it?

Indeed it would :cry: but I think any "selling" will involve Combi Boilers as the "solution"....I have moved the one here @ home from over a bedroom to over the landing :idea:

Sponsored Links
Masona as nigel says metal would have stopped it but then it is all down to cost and ease of installation ,years ago there was galvanised tanks but they rotted through flooding people and there was asbestos tanks but for obvious reasons they have now gone, a copper tank would be a horrendous price .
So we are left with cheap thin walled plastic tanks and although this is a tragic accident cost drives the market and other than stats being altered nothing else will change

Maybe a higher temperature rated plastic tank, I'm sure this is possible(?)

They make plastic kettles don't they?

Sponsored Links
Indeed they do.

Only issue here is cost not available technology.

Current tanks are as cheap as chips.

Bahco it was the plastic header tank that got that hot that it collapsed so cylinder downstairs would not make any difference.

it was a cold water storage tank namsag,immersion boiled and heated cws tank which was not supported correctly.vent to atmosphere is the only solution and ban plastic cws tanks.fibreglass tanks would be a good idea too,sectional like the old braithwaite tanks for ease of installation.

I know someone who has a fibreglass tank. About the size of a bath but deeper.

Numpty Header tank cws both basically same just terminology and made of same plastic . Tell me how to support it to stop it collapsing in this instance..
And how could a open vent safely be vented to outside firstly you are not allowed any valve or obstruction on it so what is going to stop it blocking over time as many over flow pipes do

Numpty Header tank cws both basically same just terminology and made of same plastic . Tell me how to support it to stop it collapsing in this instance..
And how could a open vent safely be vented to outside firstly you are not allowed any valve or obstruction on it so what is going to stop it blocking over time as many over flow pipes do

header tank and cold water storage[cws]two separate purposes two separate terms ;)
open vent through the roof and turned down towards the roof 2"/50mm facing up the pitch above the tiles,no need for valves or obstructions worked well on solid fuel before thermostats were invented.proper tank and base installation to relevant BS could of prevented this tragic event after all it was a local authority property so should of been installed correctly and checked.

Namsag, surely if vented out of soffit or facia and turned to wall it wouldnt get blocked solid, so the pressure built in cylinder could blow it clear.

Still raise vent pipes in same way form 180' turn down and out to safety.

Open pipe to elements still has a very good chance of blocking so taking away a safety element. Bees wasps and other insects love to make there nests in little holes like this ,even mice and over the years obstuctions become as hard a concrete seen it many times.
It probably had properly made base etc the problem is the amount of heat that got into the tank(header or cws) and because of what it is made of (which meets the standards) the sides just buckle and collapse a bit like those swimming pools you see in funny video programmes

Open pipe to elements still has a very good chance of blocking so taking away a safety element. Bees wasps and other insects love to make there nests in little holes like this ,even mice and over the years obstuctions become as hard a concrete seen it many times.
It probably had properly made base etc the problem is the amount of heat that got into the tank(header or cws) and because of what it is made of (which meets the standards) the sides just buckle and collapse a bit like those swimming pools you see in funny video programmes

I concur, though a guase cap would cure this, then no more colapsed headers :idea:

namsag i have to agree that their is a small chance of blocking for whatever reason,same as an unvented cly could explode,but use of plastic tanks ;) should be stopped where their is a chance of failure due to heat and bases should be constructed correctly to prevent this type of tragic incident :(

Other than a change in the regs which is n`t going to happen re tanks, they will point to the fact they have already made immersion stat have a cut out but that does not cover other forms of the water being heated.

The base would have to be hell size of with a lip to catch the cascading water and disperse it evenly across alarge area to stop it all coming down in one spot on top of anyone and as we know lofts are never the right shape to allow this with cross beams etc..

It is easy to say we should do this and that but by its very nature an accident is exactly that an accident. And tanks etc have been fitted like this for past forty years with only a few tragic accidents and as much as we might disagree its down to cost

Sponsored Links
Back