Water collecting on new flat roof felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
A newish roofing company (Dec 2019) in Newcastle has refelted an extension flat roof for me yesterday and says guaranteed for 10 years. There is water collecting in same place as before. Would like advice on if this is normal? And what paperwork I should ask for the guarantee?

Pic removed

Old roof had bubbling / blistering and water collecting in exactly the same area. I've had the house 10 months and surveyor had advised replacement. I got in touch with this company as they were doing other houses on my street. I asked for it to be converted to pitched and for review of additional insulation. They advised given current costs of timber just to replace the felt.

They've done:
-replaced some flat timbers? But not sure they checked the supports or insulation. I think they laid new over old??
- 3 layer replacement of felt. Their description: "should last 10+ years! We use commercial felt it's 3 layer system ( 1 liquid binder, 1 waterproofing, 1 cap sheet which gives you the finish)"
-offering 10 year guarantee though not sure what this is worth with a new company. The company is bd roofing in Newcastle incorporated Dec 2019.

Roofers were lovely but feeling some pressure from the company director to let this go because he has bills to pay. He said it is is normal for water to sit and collect before it drains into gutters.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_062706623.jpg
    PXL_20220611_062706623.jpg
    666 KB · Views: 199
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I cannot advise you about roofing but you might want to delete your first hyperlink- it exposes you identity. I don't want to print your name but I can see that your first name begins with N and your surname with A. Using that, I also know your position in the NHS and could probably find out where you live. And yes, you do take pictures of weird things sometimes.

Sorry, I am not trying to freak you out but the fact that you used a pseudonym rather than your real name suggests that you would rather remain anonymous. BTW, there is a lot to be said for not using the same username on other forms of social media.

Best of luck

OP,
The roof in the pic is wrong. It needs stripping and replacing.

1. the felt has been laid in the wrong direction.
2. the edge drip piece has become a barrier to water draining from the roof into the gutter.
3. were you quoted for a warm roof or a cold roof?
4. the min fall from the abutment to the gutter should be 1:40 - I would make it steeper.
5. Who opened up the roof at the abutment? The beginnings of OSB wet rot can be seen.
6. the real reason for leaving out a pitched roof could be that they dont know how to do pitched roof work?
7. pitched roof is most always better than flat roof
8. Why not post a pic taken at the gutter end showing up-roof to the abutment?

Sponsored Links
No, its not fine - Good roofing practice, and the Regs, suggest that felt is laid horizontal cross the roof, working up to the abutment - this way water runs unobstructed across the seams not into them as can be the case if felt is laid vertical up the roof.

With regret i say you couldn't be more wrong - stop with the panic & accept you are climbing higher & exposing more of the lower back.
Regs are what we work by - they are for guidance & legality. Perhaps you've never been trained in roofing or even had previous knowledge of such things as Regs?
Get involved in an accident or a legal insurance issue & see how fast Regs will bite you in your exposed bits.

Would like advice on if this is normal?
less than 10mm of water ponding near a seam? Of course it is normal. Unless of course you would like to see every drop of water fall off the roof along with a 45 degree fall. (y)

Ignore tell80. He is a troll and targets tradespeople on this forum and regularly gives out nonsense advice.

Opps, do you work for MI5??

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Andy

Funnily enough the landlord of my local has suggested that I do. I am just concerned about digital footprints, not in a tin foil hat way but I do worry about how much personal info people voluntarily give away. Some of that info could be dragged up in years from now by potential employers/scammers/etc.

If I google my real name, I can find posts that I left on a HP support forum around 1998. I do have a Facebook account but in a false name. I have it primarily so that I can check out other people's profiles (not for nefarious purposes though).

Edit--- I just did a google search for my name and discovered a link at Bizseek.co.uk which listed my name, self employed trading name, home address, email address and personal phone number. I have used their automated service to have my details removed.

BTW under article 17 of the GDPR you can request that your data is removed (with some caveats).

Thanks @opps -im also a master detective online - maybe we can go into business? I think there is high demand for people who can uncover secrets. Similar to you I worry about what employers/insurers/scammers can use against people - if you notices anything in my digital footprint drop me a pm please!

@datarebal ill try and get another picture today

@noseall thanks, where is information on what is normal for flat roofs available? I did lots of googling pre posting and found lots of scary things on ponding and nothing as reassuring as your message. Are we saying that above 10mm is bad? So if after light rain you have 10mm but more moderate rain you have 20mm that would be bad?

Thank you everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back