Water coming in above window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - wonder if anyone can help with find out the cause and solution for this problem I have just encountered this morning. There is water dripping slowly from above my dining room window. This is after a night of very heavy rain (haven't had this problem with light rain)

It doesn't seem to be coming from the window itself, but above it, which suggest perhaps coming through the wall? Pic below which may help.

am7cbl.jpg

Appreciate any help as I don't know where to start with this and would like to resolve it asap!

Sponsored Links
I should maybe add that the rain (torrential) has been blowing into this window/wall all night due to the strong wind.

Hi John, thanks for your reply. Have taken a few photographs from outside. Please see below.

28rzckz.jpg

2yyuukg.jpg

6881f4.jpg

those cracks are concerning!

Sponsored Links
You need to check the window cill as well as the render/roughcast above the window which looks like it has parted company with the brick.

I would start by sealing the top of the window to the render on the outside and sealing any edges around the window above it, Especially around the cill

I would also start by sealing the Window frame to to the render with a mastic and I would also check the Window above and seal with mastic checking under the cills as the water might be coming from a Window above

even if the frame does need sealing i dont think that will solve this prob as the water is getting in right above the window. the prob is above the window eg. render/window above/gutters/roof

Hi all, thanks for your replies and sorry for the delay coming back I have attached a couple of pics of the entire wall taken from outside. Appreciate any advice.

2qlvr85.jpg

295g0uc.jpg

6fxst3.jpg

I wonder if the gutter overspills in heavy rain. Have a look next time. I don't suppose you'll have long to wait.

Thanks for your replies. What am I looking for around the cill of the upstairs window exactly? :oops:

Gaps, cracks missing silicone. Anywhere where water can seep into the cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back