Water coming through my ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a silly query but several (7) plumbers have been unable to diagnose the problem.

I have a megaflo heating system, put in by the builder in the house when new 7 years ago. I don't know about vented and unvented, but it has a red ball at the top and the air gap does have to be restored from time to time.

My problem is that everytime I go away for a few days, on my return water comes through the ceiling underneath where the megaflo tank is. I have made a hole in the ceiling to allow the water to flow rather than soak in to the plaster and the amount of water is about 2 cups worth, then it stops.

It cannot be a permanent leak as it only happens after I get home, and therefore must be some sort of overflow. I am puzzled as to what causes the overflow.

Please help if you have any idea what might be causing the problem.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the volume of water which would be produced when the water expands on heating.
It should be accommodated internally, or if that doesn't work for some reason, go down a pipe to outside.
Hard to believe that 7 plumbers couldn't find it.:rolleyes:
Maybe you need Snow White?

Its the expanding water but there is a discontinuity in the vent pipes obviously.

How many of the "7 plumbers" have had a certificate for Unventeds???? I bet none of them! Any members of the institute???

There is a common misperception that a plumber is a plumber and that all will be somehow qualified and experienced to the same high standard.

There is no control over how good or bad a plumber you have chosen. But to comply with the law you must start with one qualified for unventeds.

Its unlikely your "builder" was qualified or used anyone qualified!

Tony

Sponsored Links
knackered expansion vessel ( the red ball) and a dodgy joint somewhere on the pressure relief pipework (could be considered similar to an overflow) near to the cylinder?

Bit unlucky if it's only when you ever go away, do you leave your heating/hot water on constant when you are away?

Sam

Thankyou all for your help.

To sambotc, yes, hot water is left on all the time, and heating temperature is controlled by the thermostat dial in hallway - even when away.

The water coming through only happens when I get home after about half an hour.

Whereabouts does the pressure relief pipework exit the tank?

Thanks

sambotc said:
knackered expansion vessel ( the red ball) and a dodgy joint somewhere on the pressure relief pipework (could be considered similar to an overflow) near to the cylinder?

Sam
you`re optimistic that it`s even GOT pipework from PR :LOL: bet it hasn`t ;)

If you could post a picture up of the equipment in your airing cupboard, it would help a great deal, as said above may not even be fitted to current reg's and my suggestion was a stab in the dark given the small amount of info :D

One thing to check though, when your heating/hot water is on, what does the pressure gauge read when the system is up to full temp?

Sam

sambotc said:
If you could post a picture up of the equipment in your airing cupboard, it would help a great deal, as said above may not even be fitted to current reg's and my suggestion was a stab in the dark given the small amount of info :D

One thing to check though, when your heating/hot water is on, what does the pressure gauge read when the system is up to full temp?

Sam

I will try and post a picture for you.

The pressure regularly falls and needs correction by opening a value with a screwdriver on a tube that comes from the red ball. It normally sits with black arrow on 1.5, but then falls to below 1, and things start making noises.

Thank you

the Megaflo has internal expansion and as you say the bubble has to be re-instated sometimes. The red expansion vessel with the screwdriver isolation valve is part of the heating system. There are also 2 release valves associated with the Megaflo which should indicate they are leaking by a tundish (open funnel) and this should be piped outside regs relate to diameter and length.
is this what you have?

To John D

There is an open funnel on the front of the tank. One plumber said this was crooked and the water was coming down the side rather than flowing away. However, I have felt the opening after the water has come through the ceiling and it is dry.

The pipe connected to the funnel eventually goes to the front of the house, as this is where the hot water comes out when the gap is reintstated.

Is this the pressure relief pipework that is previously mentioned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back