water damaged kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone suggest a repair rather than replace this worktop?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 17.43.12_698777b1.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-10-17 at 17.43.12_698777b1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
I wondered if you could take out some of the expanded chip board below the veneer of the worktop and then glue in a metal joint?
There is another metal joint on the other side of the worktop. So, it would not look out of place.

Are you talking about one of these?:

You could conceivably fit one in there but I can't see how it would fix anything or improve the appearance, so don't see the point.

As for removing the blown chipboard to make the top flat again....I think this is something that is possible in theory but in reality it would be so labour intensive you'd be better off just replacing the whole thing.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about one of these?:

You could conceivably fit one in there but I can't see how it would fix anything or improve the appearance, so don't see the point.

As for removing the blown chipboard to make the top flat again....I think this is something that is possible in theory but in reality it would be so labour intensive you'd be better off just replacing the whole thing.
similar to this joint but without the curved bit at the front.

the property is going up for sale, so trying to find a cheaper solution than replacing the worktops. What sort of guide price should I be looking at if, indeed, I replaced the worktop? it is a U shaped worktop 3 meters on each of the 3 sides.

I will avoid answering your "how much?" question as I simply do not know.
But for every £1 you spend on improving that worktop, how many £1 do you think the sale price will increase by? If the buyer decides they want £250 off the price because of the worktop then you can advise them that, yes, you already know what condition the worktop is in and the price reflects that.
My advice would be to spend as little time and money as possible on minor cosmetics because you are unlikely to get it back.

similar to this joint but without the curved bit at the front.

the property is going up for sale, so trying to find a cheaper solution than replacing the worktops. What sort of guide price should I be looking at if, indeed, I replaced the worktop? it is a U shaped worktop 3 meters on each of the 3 sides.
If it’s up for sale then completely pointless doing anything with it, just stick a tray on top when anyone views.

Don't bother, stick a tray and coffee pot over it with some biccies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back