Water-damaged RSJ replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to buy a house which has standard size french doors to the garden with a rolled metal rsj support above. There has been a leak from above and over time the lintel has rusted, buckled and is starting to bow out, probably a couple or 3 inches movement. The hot water tank is in the room above so it looks like the related plumbing is the cause, but I just wonder how easy and expensive it will be to put the rsj right.
I can't see the bare brickwork so don't know if there's any significant movement there, but it is this bit that worries me as I don't know how big a job it would be if the bricks have started to separate.
Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? How would you approach this and what would you say any major concerns might be. Finally if you are able to indicate max and min budget figures it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Don't know about cost. But make it a condition of you purchasing.
Either they get it put right before you buy, or get quotes in to do it properly then deduct this off the value.

Rico

Hi Rico,
thanks for the suggestion.
This is an auction purchase so I'm going to have to take it on if I'm successful. I just want to make sure I can get the costings right and keep the price as low as possible.

Sponsored Links
No sweat.

And good luck with the auction, don't get too carried away.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back