Water dripping down soil pipe but water turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have a curious problem. Water is turned off as well as air con but when I removed soil pipe there is a drip down the pipe (inside the pipe). I removed the soil pipe with a view to remodel a bathroom and left the soil pipe disconnected for two weeks as I was away and when I returned all surface below the disconnection was quite wet and then I noted the regular drip down the pipe at the rate of roughly a drop per second. Where could this water be coming from? The house has a rain water collector whose overflow probably connects to the soil pipe but the collector is totally empty (and dry). I would be most grateful for any ideas. Thank you.

Attachments

• 24BE7E39-4755-46FB-97EA-95EDE54A345A.jpeg
    24BE7E39-4755-46FB-97EA-95EDE54A345A.jpeg
    793.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 7EFFBE64-EAFF-492F-B944-BB1EAD49A4E1.jpeg
    7EFFBE64-EAFF-492F-B944-BB1EAD49A4E1.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 5479D3EA-91CA-45C3-A41C-22B250E9F631.jpeg
    5479D3EA-91CA-45C3-A41C-22B250E9F631.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 92
Sponsored Links
Was Toilet cistern full of water when you turned mains off ? If so ,see if it's emptied,or part empty. A fault in the toilet seals can allow water to escape into the pan ,and into the soil pipe.

Was Toilet cistern full of water when you turned mains off ? If so ,see if it's emptied,or part empty. A fault in the toilet seals can allow water to escape into the pan ,and into the soil pipe.
Thank you. I checked this first: I put a dry paper onto the side of the pan to see if it would get wet but it didn’t. The cistern is not accessible; it is behind a wall.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I checked this first: I put a dry paper onto the side of the pan to see if it would get wet but it didn’t. The cistern is not accessible; it is behind a wall.
Do you know if the toilet cistern overflows into soil pipe directly (it shouldn’t) or via the pan?

Do you know if the toilet cistern overflows into soil pipe directly (it shouldn’t) or via the pan?
The cistern is behind the wall and so I do not know that. When I turned off the mains really tightly the drip stopped and so I know the drip is fed by the mains somehow. Above the drip there is a single toilet, 2 sinks, shower, rain collector overflow, steam generator (but don’t know if it has any overflow). Sinks are out as they don’t drip, rain collector is out as it is empty, show is also out as it does not drip, It must be the toilet or the steam generator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back