water dripping through kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

children in bath - water on kitchen floor via ceiling light.

please advise best course of action. Have already dried the children and not touched the light.

Sponsored Links
If it only leaks when the bath is in use:

Faulty silicone
Faulty waste/trap
Children splashing too much.

Andy

does it happen when water goes down the overflow?

Or splashes up the side of the bath against the wall?

think it came through after much splashing on the floor.
more concerned about the kitchen light though. how should i proceed?

Sponsored Links
Two things:
  • Do not touch the light for a couple of days. It will dry out on its own.
  • Tell the kids not to splash again - yeah, I know!

Can you take the bath panel off, and see where the leak is, and where it's travelling though to the kitchen. Is the kitchen light of the pendulum type; can you remove the ceiling rose, and allow the air to dry it out.

just a though

is the floor suitable for a bathroom floor ??
as in fully waterproof like linoliem or similar or something like carpet

If you can, knock off the circuit breaker (or pull the fuse) for the downstairs lights. If it's a rose with pendent, then unscrew the cover off the rose so air can get in and dry it out - and unscrew the rear cover off the pendent lampholder to it can dry out too.
If it's a different type of light, then giving that information will get more specific help.

You aren't the first, and you won't be the last, to have this happen :rolleyes: And I suspect that most of us, if we are honest and think back long enough, could recall being responsible for such an event when we were young :whistle:

it looks as though water has splashed/gone down behind or under the toilet.

moved in a couple of years ago and this is the first sign of any problem! Kids have never been so vigorous before!!

No carpet at all but looks like well fitted flooring.

Have switched off the lighting circuit and loosened the ceiling light fitting to allow for air flow.

It will almost certainly be fine one it is dry. If the water caused an issue the rcd in your fuse box would trip if you have one. As long as your earth is good it wouldn't be a hazard even if you don't have an RCD.
How up to date is your fuse box? If not old you will be up to the latest standard which is extremely safe in most circumstances even with one fault such as water present.

Thanks John D, that is reassuring. I think the fuse box is modernish. House is about 14 years old I think. I'm intending to leave that light completely untouched for 2 days - do think that's likely to be enough? I realise you can't say for definite as you can't actually see it.

Should be plenty, we had water coming through one light when it was on (shower screen had been nudged) and we just turned off the water in the shower and dried the floor. Was fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back