electric shock from new build wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
builder open the roof last week to complete the extension. it was raining heavily last night and water came into the ceiling of the bedroom facing the new extension. most of the water came out of the ceiling rose which made the light build exploded. when I go out to the extension and touch the newly build wall and the scaffolding pole I get electric shock. the same happened when I touch the kitchen sink with barefoot in the kitchen. I have three small children and I am very worried about their safety. what is the reason of the electric shock and how it an be eliminated?

Sponsored Links
builder open the roof last week to complete the extension. it was raining heavily last night and water came into the ceiling of the bedroom facing the new extension. most of the water came out of the ceiling rose which made the light build exploded. when I go out to the extension and touch the newly build wall and the scaffolding pole I get electric shock. the same happened when I touch the kitchen sink with barefoot in the kitchen. I have three small children and I am very worried about their safety. what is the reason of the electric shock and how it an be eliminated?

You need to get an electrican in to sort it out urgently!

Your consumer unit should have tripped as water ingress should have caused sufficient current to flow through the earth to trip.

Can you turn off the circuit affected at the consumer unit, or get a neighbour to have look.
I wouldnt leave it like that overnight with small children, you have live fault which is potentially dangerous

neither the light circuit breakers nor the sockets tripped. also forgot to mention the electric shock is what I call mild and more effective on the wall then the kitchen sink but still get me very worries. I did switch off the light circuit and noticed nothing when touch the kitchen sink. but I did not do this with the wall as it is too dark to go outside now.

Sponsored Links
You need to get an electrican in to sort it out urgently!

Your consumer unit should have tripped as water ingress should have caused sufficient current to flow through the earth to trip.

How can you deduce this? Have you been there to take measurements?

To get shocks like you describe, safety items must be either faulty or missing, the thing we call a RCD should have disconnected to supply, it would have been required in a new build which would include an extension so that item is not working.

The test gear to check the RCD will cost a lot of money, so there is no alternative other than call an electrician. Water may have caused the problems but it should have resulted in you loosing power, not getting a shock.

A mild shock would be less than the 30mA required to trip a RCD so don’t assume the RCD is faulty.

Even so it needs a spark to investigate.

an electrician came today and did some tests. he found the earth is one single silver naked wire running a long the wires that carry the live and the natural. He concluded that it might be in one of the wet junction boxes live electricity escaping to the earth. there is no RCD in the house at all and that is why nothing has tripped. also the normal circuit barkers did not trip because they only work with natural and live not live and earth

an electrician came today and did some tests. he found the earth is one single silver naked wire running a long the wires that carry the live and the natural. He concluded that it might be in one of the wet junction boxes live electricity escaping to the earth. there is no RCD in the house at all and that is why nothing has tripped. also the normal circuit barkers did not trip because they only work with natural and live not live and earth
What action has he taken to solve the problem ?

Well.
After you get your current problem fixed, you should ensure that RCDs/RCBOs are installed to protect you and your loved ones (as far as is possible) from such untoward events.

(By the way, electricity does not "escape to the Earth".
The current in any circuit returns to its source - conventionally stated, this is via the Neutral, which is "Neutral" because it is connected to the Earth.")

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back