Water flow question about Megaflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a couple of plumbers around to quote me for a new bathroom and to install and new en-suite and have asked them what do i need to have in installed to be able to run two showers at the same time for a maximum of 5 mins.

Both of them have recomended a megaflow, but they did not check my mains water presure/flow?

I know I have a 15mm mains comming in from the road (3 meters away from stop cock) and have mesured the time it takes to fill a bucket of water (10 ltr).

Tap in Garage near stop cock = 0.36 seconds
Utility Tap = 0.57 seconds
Kitchen tap = 0.56 seconds.

Do I have the minimum requirements to have a megaflow?

Cheers
James

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't install a Megaflo on those flow rates...My advice would be upgrade your cold water storage capacity to 100 gallons, check your hot water storage capacity and upgrade too if need be and fit a 3 bar shower pump (Stuart Turner if possible) to run both showers.

It is imperative to install the shower pump to the manufacturer's instructions.

Sponsored Links
are your flowrate figures correct e.g 0.36 secs for 10 litres ?? unless I am misunderstanding the figs that is 10 litres in under 1 second ?

are your flowrate figures correct e.g 0.36 secs for 10 litres ?? unless I am misunderstanding the figs that is 10 litres in under 1 second ?

Sorry,

The times are in seconds.

Tap in Garage near stop cock = 36 seconds
Utility Tap = 57 seconds
Kitchen tap = 56 seconds.

for unvented cylinders I would expect a min of 1 bar dynamic or running pressure , & a min flowrate of 20 litres a min ', your flowrates are at the min' i would go with storage . you could of course use an accumulater with an unvented cylinder , which is a way of storing mains water .

for unvented cylinders I would expect a min of 1 bar dynamic or running pressure , & a min flowrate of 20 litres a min ', your flowrates are at the min' i would go with storage . you could of course use an accumulater with an unvented cylinder , which is a way of storing mains water .

OK Cheers,

I was looking at a 210l megaflow, so will a 60 x 18 hot water cylinders do me, with a 3 bar pump?

I know I will need to increase the cold water storage in the loft, I think I currently have a 25 gallon one, will a 50 gallon tank do instead?

By the way if you are in the black country area of the west midlands, I would be happy to have a quote from you.

Cheers again.

James

Think I worked your flow rate out last night as being 16.6 lmin at your stop cock. Combi's not going to give you 25l/min if you've only 16l at the stopcock.

combis , dont know if this helps ? but when you are dealing with instantaneous type combis the H.W flowrate can be worked out by the following formula , convert the combis output into kilo calories , 1 kw = 14.3 k. calories , e.g a 24 kw x 14.3=343 divide by a given temp ' e.g 35 = 9.8 litres a min at a temp' rise of 35 degs C . If you only got 16 L coming in , u can only get 16 l out , storage or an accumulater , Oso do an accumulater system the dualstream or ariston do there are others do.
an accumulater works on kinetic energy , (water) no pumps !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back