Water Hammer cured by turning stopcock down..but will it leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've had frequent random issues with water hammer which appear to have got worse since having a new boiler fitted. I get a 'knocking' noise 1 second after every time I turn the cold (and sometimes) hot water tap off quickly, when the toilet finishes filling up (quieter noise) and the washing machine fills and empties. These are quite loud but nothing alarming...but then out of the blue sometimes in the dead of the night I can hear very alarming 'knocks' in the pipework. These are the ones that could lead to me to thinking the force could cause a burst pipe at some point.

Anyhow I have turned the mains stopcock about 4 turns to the left and now the noise doesn't happen when suddenly turning the taps off. Will leaving the stopcock like this cause a leak over time? I had one in my old house and want to avoid such a thing. Is there a more permanent solution than leaving the stopcock at this half measure?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Google shock arrester and look at cold water tank ball valve being faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back