Water in brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm really hoping some one can help me.

I'm preparing my front room for the plastering coming next week. I've taken all the skirting off [as it's being replaced] and noticed that there are a number of 1" [ish] drilled holes in the brick work on my internal brick wall [between the front room and dinning room] suggesting to me initially that they were due to a damp course being done some time before we bought the house.

However on closer inspection they do not go through the whole brick and some of them have filled with water. The holes are angled down. I did notice that some of the paper, when taking it off was sticky on the back.

Do you think that this is condensation collecting in the void or damp rising up and not being able to go any further so pooling in the holes?

I'd really like to try and sort this myself if i can - with your advice of course.

Thanks in advance.

Angela

:confused:

Sponsored Links
it will not be condensation, it will the source of water which led to the damp not being addressed.

Maybe it is a burst pipe or leaking drain. Take up the floor and have a look underneath.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Well i lifted the floorboards and no water source was evident - I ended up calling in a local damp expert [recommended and had done some work for some family a number of years ago and cured their damp problem]. It's rising damp! He reports that the water is pooling in the holes as well as travelling up the walls. I need a chemical injection DPC and re plaster. Work is going to start on Monday.

Thanks for the reply.

Angela

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back