Water In Oil Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've Oil central heating. My tank is a plastic 1200 ltr ( semi circular type . Titan I think ) feeding a Firebird Popular 90 in the Garage The tanks the same age as the house I guess. 25 years. I have not been getting any problems at all, but just took an inclination last week to buy some water finding Paste. Smeared some on a stick and stuck it in and it show approx 1/2 inch water detected. Like I say, been having no problems, but what's the best way to get rid of this water. I know that you can get the sock type thingys that absorb the water but they only seem to absorb small amounts. Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
I know sod all about oil tanks etc.
But don't oil tanks have some kind of sump/upstand feed pipe so that any water is under the feed for the oil output? It would make sense to me, and possibly some kind of sump drain plug?

I know sod all about oil tanks etc.
But don't oil tanks have some kind of sump/upstand feed pipe so that any water is under the feed for the oil output? It would make sense to me, and possibly some kind of sump drain plug?
Old steel ones did, and we're usually found to be rusted solid so they couldn't be used. Plastic ones don't have a drain as (at least in theory) there's no way for water to get in.

@Mark 9002 at 25 years old a plastic tank is likely due for replacement. Single skin ones only come with a 2 year warranty, bunded ones with a 10 year warranty. Whilst removing the water is a good idea, a thorough inspection of the tank is highly recommended to determine how it got there and what condition the tank is in

Don’t all tanks suffer condensation?
Even if no rain water gets in, I would expect moisture to build over time

Sponsored Links
With the take off a good 1 1/2 -2 inches above the base, I wouldn't be over concerned after 25 years. Just have a look around the tank particularly at the bends in the moulding, for cracks.

Thanks all for the comments and advice. Didn't realise the take off was a good bit higher, and after 25 years I guess 1/2 inch isn't that much. The tank is still sound. Its actually fitted into a breeze clock surround with a concrete base and no sight or smell of any leaks. I think I'll plan to have it replaced next spring but in the mean time I'll fit a water trap filter with see through plastic bowel that I can drain any water off if it gets through. I guess just before the boiler would be the best place for this. Just a thought on fitting new tanks. Is it a good idea to just have a wee bit of incline away from the take off end ?

I wouldn’t bother as, I would assume that the people who manufacture the tanks will have taken all that into account in the design process.

New bunded tank on a solid level non combustible base that extends 300mm beyond tank. Worth checking all other distances (from boundary hedges fences ect) as tanks were often installed incorrectly.

Good installation of steel tanks always had a 'toe down' away from the take off, with a drain cock at the low end. Condensation is not the same problem on plastic tanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back