Water In Post Hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm in the process of building a timber deck in the back garden. Today I dug the post holes 700mm deep

The problem is the top left hole keeps filling up with water (which is worrying as it hasn't rained here for two weeks) and in the other 3 holes on the left I hit pea shingle (soakaway?)

Obviously I haven't hit the water table as all other holes are dry, there are no services anywhere near by. I have bailed out the hole twice both times it has just re-filled with water.

On the other side of the fence is the back garden from the house behind us which is also sloping down towards us so all water will be draining into our garden.

The soil is clay and drainage is non existent, the pea gravel seems to run in line with the house it does not extend past the gable end so I guess this is to save water from running into the foundations.

Whats the best thing to do here? Should I wrap the posts in a vapour barrier before concreting them in?

Sponsored Links
How are you going to stop the decking becoming a slippery death trap when wet after it has aged a few months?

Oh dear, you are thinking too much

The timber posts will be staying wet when in the ground whether these holes are filling with water or not

You wont avoid this and you won't prolong the timber's life by trying to wrap it or suchlike

Put the posts in, throw the concrete in and just carry on

Sponsored Links
I'd be worried!

Not about the water itself, but what sort of water is it? Pea shingle isn't usual for a soakaway (although it can be used - but it hasn't rained for a while, why hasn't it soaked away if it is?), but shingle /is/ used extensively to bed pipes, including mains water and sewage.

Grap a cup and dip some water out. Give it a sniff. If sewage, you've got a problem down there that you should sort before continuing with the decking. (Tip: Don't tell the missis you borrowed her favourite cup)

Even if it smells clean, get somebody in the house to flush the loo a few times while you watch the hole. If the water gets higher, same problem.

Also try a bit of listening, perhaps with a listening rod to see if there's a hiss that might signify a leaking mains pipe. If you have a road meter, turn off all the water in the house and take a reading. Wait half an hour and take another reading. If it's moved you've got a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back