Water in washing machine after cycle finished.

Calgon which we buy in large packs online stops the black mould. I recommend for everyone.

If pump is worn out there ain't enough force to blow water out and sludge builds up.
Our machine had error code every few weeks and we just switched off and back on. Cleaning helped for a few weeks but error code came up again.

Swapped pressure sensor and all good for a month then error code again. Swapped pump and over a year and no trouble...

Code was pressure sensor, pump, waste pipe blocked.

Went for pressure sensor and cheap 2 min job.

Sponsored Links
Calgon which we buy in large packs online stops the black mould. I recommend for everyone.

If pump is worn out there ain't enough force to blow water out and sludge builds up.
Our machine had error code every few weeks and we just switched off and back on. Cleaning helped for a few weeks but error code came up again.

Swapped pressure sensor and all good for a month then error code again. Swapped pump and over a year and no trouble...

Code was pressure sensor, pump, waste pipe blocked.

Went for pressure sensor and cheap 2 min job.
Keeping the machine clean prevents mould , Calgon is a waste of money

I've tried the bottles of bleach or white vinegar to clean. Big boxes of calgon works and don't cost much. Use them and we don't need to run cleaning cycle very often

Sponsored Links
washing soda crystals in a hot hot hot white cotton wash, and minimising the amount of fabsoft and powder, will clean away sludge.

when you do a hot soda clean, with a cupful, there is no need to add powder, because it will dissolve the residue of soap in the machine. you can do it again until it stops foaming up. white cotton towels are ideal, and will come out softer and whiter than they went in.

In normal washes, halve the powder and make up with a large spoonful of soda.

there is currently a UK shortage. It is usually about £1 per kg bag.

If you’re unable to get to the pipe how do you know it’s not changed?
Because the issue them doesnt for days. The machine is a certain distance from the wall due to a plate on the floor to enable the machine from vibration thus moving and clamping the pipe. Issue now fixed.

washing soda crystals in a hot hot hot white cotton wash, and minimising the amount of fabsoft and powder, will clean away sludge.

when you do a hot soda clean, with a cupful, there is no need to add powder, because it will dissolve the redue of soap in the machine. you can do it again until it stops foaming up. white cotton towels are ideal, and will come out softer and whiter than they went in.

In normal washes, halve the powder and make up with a large spoonful of soda.

there is currently a UK shortage. It is usually about £1 per kg bag.
I put a gel tablet in the machine and comfort in the drawer.

You saying use soda with gel or comfort

in the wash

what temperature do you mostly use?

are you generous with the fabsoft?

do you whites seem a bit grey?

All at 40 but whites always 60
Fabric softner is a lid full which is nearly max line

I thought Calgon was used to reduce limescale rather than gunge?

I thought Calgon was used to reduce limescale rather than gunge?
There is no limescale in washing machines, all detergent contains water softeners ( or it would clean your clothes), one reason Calgon had to pull their adverts or face false claims.

There is no limescale in washing machines, all detergent contains water softeners ( or it would clean your clothes), one reason Calgon had to pull their adverts or face false claims.

They recently began showing ads, where the drum from a machine and a pipe of some sort was completely choked with (claimed to be) horrible probably smelly debris. The ad is equally misleading, because no washer would be able to function at all choked up like that, besides it being completely impossible scenario, intended to scare people into buying it.

My washer must be around 10 to 12 years old, has never been near Calgon - just the usual soap powders. It has had a couple of electronic failures in that time, both sorted by me, but never anything which Calgon - even if it's claims were true, would be able to help with.

It's drum is spotlessly clean, as is the heater element.

Good points re:calgon, they dodged a bullet when the ASA investigated them in 2012.

The ASA let them off the hook because using Calgon might be advantageous IF the consumer doesn't have a water softener.

With regards to water softeners- I was listening to "The best thing since sliced bread" on Radio 4. The "expert" being interviewed said that if our water levels were excessively hard, it would be dealt with at the processing plants. For the average domestic user, she couldn't see much benefit to the average home owner given the additional costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back