Water into F/E tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new pump to my old Glow Worm 65 80-B. It's a balanced flue, pumped downstairs, gravity upstairs system.

Having fitted the pump, I am regularly getting excessive water going into the F/E tank in the loft, and then overflowing. This is only happening when the CH is on.

I have been given two possible solutions:

One said turn the pump speed DOWN as the new pump will be more efficient than the old pump and may be "over pumping", and the other solution was turn the pump speed UP do dissipate the heat quicker, reducing over heating and expansion on the F/E tank.

Any ideas? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Since the feed and expansion tank is overflowing when this happens, your problem is more serious. You probably have a blocked feed pipe near the connection to the circulation pipes (very common - do a search here for lots of threads on this).

Would that be the case eventhough the boiler / system drains completely and fills perfectly from the F/E tank?

Sponsored Links
davidstanton said:
One said turn the pump speed DOWN as the new pump will be more efficient than the old pump and may be "over pumping"

have a look at the position of the F&E pipe, and the expansion pipe. they should be close together, and on the "suction" side of the pump (which will likely have an arrow somewhere on the casing to show direction of flow.

That ought to mean that excessive power in the pump will not be trying to push water up the pipes, as it might if they were on the pressure side, though you might possibly get a momentary surge when the pump starts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back