water leak - magtek filter? please advise (pictures attached) also regular low pressure worcester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have worchester bosch greenstar 1 (it was only fitted over a year ago)
and over the past year i have to to manually fix the pressure gauge with the key and bleed radiators so they work

over the past few days i have noticed there is a leak from the mag-tek filter

water is leaking from the bottom small black screw lid (which can be removed)
and it also seems from the large black screw at the top (i don't have a spanner big enough to tighten this, has water around the edges.

what is a quick way of stopping the leak? turning the boiler off?

is this something i can fix myself?

please see attached pictures, and i appreciate your help IMG_1289.jpg IMG_1288.jpg IMG_1286.jpg IMG_1280.jpg IMG_1279.jpg IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1277.jpg IMG_1276.jpg

Sponsored Links
If it’s been leaking since install, why haven’t you had installer back? To stop the leak it needs overhauling. You may be able to self sort. Turn red isolators to off, drain the small amount of water from filter, disconnect the filter and clean the washer, reconnect, turn on isolators, top up pressure, vent through top of filter and any rads that have lost a little water.

Turning off the two red isolation valves to the filter will stop leaks from the filter,but you will not be able to use the boiler/ central heating. The silver cap has a rubber seal ,and refitting it tightly should stop water coming from the bottom.
Don't know what is leaking from elsewhere pics not clear enough.

Turning off the two red isolation valves to the filter will stop leaks from the filter,but you will not be able to use the boiler/ central heating. The silver cap has a rubber seal ,and refitting it tightly should stop water coming from the bottom.
Don't know what is leaking from elsewhere pics not clear enough.

i have turned the isolation valves which has stopped the leaked

i managed to screw off the filter from the back pipe (the one against the wall) which released some water. i have then put it back and turned the red valves back to its normal position, its seems the water is leaking from the large black circular screw. (i dont have the spanner tools to remove that or tighten it) so kind of stuck what do do? is it likely that just needs tightening

'the silver cap has a rubber seal'

yes i tried that doesn't make a difference, the smaller on the at the bottom right.

Sponsored Links
sorry which part is this on top of filter and what does this involve? what do you mean by vent.. with a radioator bleeding key?

The part circled in blue on this photo. Vent by releasing trapped air and replacing with water, yes either a key or turn - it’s difficult to tell from photoand doesn’t appear there’s much help on the internet.

Attachments

• 7394D158-A524-40E3-873D-8C159C8592C6.jpeg
    7394D158-A524-40E3-873D-8C159C8592C6.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 513
Is it worth me buying the tool (the spanner )and cleaning the filter and re tightening it as the leak seems to be coming from there

Will try turning that , I think it’s a spanner job ... as the rad key I have didn’t fit on top ...

would I need to do turn the white plug thing on the Worcester Boiler for the water flow to start

You need a seal kit - the main body seal looks like it's passing, in where the filter splits. You need to see if you can get a seal for it first then crack open the filter and the seal in there will need swapped out

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You need a seal kit - the main body seal looks like it's passing, in where the filter splits. You need to see if you can get a seal for it first then crack open the filter and the seal in there will need swapped out

Sorry to be a pain but can you mark on the picture which bit you mean? From what I can see the water is leaking from the large black screw area .. is this the bit you mean where the seal is passing ?

thanks appreciate your help

I might just swap out for another one if it’s cheaper then calling out an plumber

Pic number 6 in the series, where the canister screws apart, there will be a seal in there. From the picture, that looks like where the water is coming from, so the canister is either loose and needs tightened or the seal isn't sealing any more.

Isolate the filter from the system using the valves and crack open the filter, you will see a rubber seal in there, that'll be what needs looked at.

Thank you so much

ps I found the spare bits so I can open the filter etc and there a rubber seals in there

I hope this works I will look at it this evening and report back

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Take it easy and make surewhere the seal lives and the other contact surface are nice and clean and that the seal goes in properly, nice and snug and doesn't get twisted. Ideally a little silicone grease on it too and don't over tighten it.

hey guys thanks so much, i used the sealing ring on both parts, the nut against the wall and the black circle nut screw.

the filter was suprisingly clean and i just empited the water from this and retightned.

all seems to be fine and no leak

only issue i have is the water pressure still goes into the red on the boiler. i did refill to 1.5 but when i put on the heating for the RADS it does seem to reduce.

the main thing for now is

*no leak
*radiators are warming up
*i have hot water

there is nothing else i need to do with the filter area right, not sure what the screw section is onto of the filter. the screw head fits a flat head screwdriver to turn....

thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1294.jpg
    IMG_1294.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 458
Low red

We had an extension done and new radiators downstairs ... not sure if that matter

x5

upstairs has older radiators

x6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back