Water leaking from house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We started digging out a trench today for a conservatory, not far down and we had water filling the trench, I thought maybe we hit the water table but then again it seemed a bit high even though we are quite near the sea.
Dug out some more and emptied out a few buckets full of water to see if if might be a burst pipe or something.
We then noticed the water filling up again and saw that it was actually coming from the property wall below ground level.
Phoned the customer as they were out and explained what we had found, asked if they had noticed low pressure on the boiler thinking it could possibly be an internal pipe leaking but they said no.
Going back in the morning to discuss with them before we carry on but I can't honestly think what it could be.

Any ideas?

See pic, it's coming from the left side and also out of the brickwork circled.

I also have a video to show the water coming out but don't know how to attach a video sorry.

booth house leak.jpg

Sponsored Links
Low pressure on the boiler would only be if a central heating pipe was leaking. Obviously a water leak in the wall/house. Is it anywhere near the mains incomer?

In order of likelihood

A mains leak
Standing water in underfloor void
Drain leak

Sponsored Links
Floorboards taken up this morning and it's bone dry, the bottom of the void under the joists is higher than the water leakage outside.
It's still coming out constantly and is clear water so I think probably a mains leak.
Customer has called Welsh Water and they are sending someone today or tomorrow.

Hello,

We started digging out a trench today for a conservatory, not far down and we had water filling the trench, I thought maybe we hit the water table but then again it seemed a bit high even though we are quite near the sea.
Dug out some more and emptied out a few buckets full of water to see if if might be a burst pipe or something.
We then noticed the water filling up again and saw that it was actually coming from the property wall below ground level.
Phoned the customer as they were out and explained what we had found, asked if they had noticed low pressure on the boiler thinking it could possibly be an internal pipe leaking but they said no.
Going back in the morning to discuss with them before we carry on but I can't honestly think what it could be.

Any ideas?

See pic, it's coming from the left side and also out of the brickwork circled.

I also have a video to show the water coming out but don't know how to attach a video sorry.

View attachment 303079
We have seen this a few times when digging along side existing, when on clay. It usually follows a wet spell. I bet if you were doing the same dig after a dry spell, we wouldn't be having this chat.
We had similar issues on our current job, whereby the storm drain run had almost as much water running outside the pipe as inside, lol.

How old is the house? I've had water supply pipes leak below ground.

You might find that doing a salts test will help - basically, it is a cost-effective and quick test (results in minutes) whereby it tests the water in question for nitrates and, more importantly for you, chlorides which is in tap / mains water.

Some more information here about a salts test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back