water leaking out of domestic safety valve outlet. glowworm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water leaks out of the 10 bar domestic safety valve on my glowworm 30 ci plus boiler when it has been on for a while, its running like a tap out of the pipe that is outside the house and the boiler is running continually trying to heat up the water thats escaping.Central heating side is still working ok and there isn't any significant increase in domestic water pressure so I'm not sure why this is happening, anyone got any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Why disconnect the filling loop when all that does is fill the central heating system, also, on my boiler its and integral part of the boiler and not a piece of flexible pipe as on a normal system, and its the domestic hot water safety valve thats letting water through it, why would it do this unless the pressure was too high or the water was too hot and neither are the case.

Then check the pressure reducing valve or replace safety valve!

The glowworm ci is a combi, im assuming this is heating an unvented cyl?

Sponsored Links
No, not heating a cylinder at all, i thought the whole idea of a combi boiler was to do away with a cylinder and have instant hot water. I will check the pressure reducing valve but i'm not convinced the safety valve is faulty as most of the time it doesn't let water throught it, it seems to be mainly in the evening and even then not always.

Is your filling valve turned off ??

If so then how do you account for this continued flow of water?

Tony

Its the domestic hot water safety valve that is leaking, not the heating safety valve. The water is running because the domestic hot water has to be on all the time otherwise i wouldn't get any hot water out of my taps, the filling loop and filling valve only services the central heating which has to be independent of the domestic hot water otherwise i would have all kinds of gunk coming out of my taps from the central heating system.

Sorry, thought i had answered it in the last question, yes, the filling valve is turned off, but as i have said above that isn't filling the domestic hot water so on or off it makes no difference.

sounds similar to me
no safety valve but
when dhw turned off pressure goes over 10 bar(gauge max)
no expansion on system when this was happening so had 2 blowouts on flexi hoses
instlled 8 litre exp and seems to have cured pressure prob although boiler runs on a little longer to fill vessel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back